what's the best setup for leaf removal???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wrestlingcoach, Sep 6, 2004.

1. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

My partner and I have a year contract for a school that includes leaf removal in the fall.

What is the best set up to accomplish the task?

What are the tools / machines best suit for the task?

There are 50 ( very mature)trees that are next to 20 acres of open fields for some of the leaves to be mowed over but for those nooks and door openings ( the bermuda triangle, you use a blower and all that does is create a nice tornado of leaves) what do you use?

Another 5 acre tract has 15 mature trees which 10 are huge- huge
    sycamores

any suggestions besides " I hope they blow down the street.""

2. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Put the MEG MO blades on your mower.

3. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Meg-Mo, can you please explain more to everyone how on Earth you haven't scraped your decks in years? I spoke with one of your customers the other day who says he has to scrape just as often as any other blade, but they do cut nice for him he said. I just feel that line is false advertising.

4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm getting a Trac Vac for my doofy old Deere L110 (may as well get some use out of that thing). The Trac Vac, like a lot of such items, has an impeller that chops the leaves up a little bit in addition to whatever chopping the blades might do.

Coach, what kinda mowers are you running? If the fields are wide open and you have a truck with high sides, maybe you'd do well to get a push blower and a leaf loader. Also, what are your options for getting rid of the leaves? If you have to haul them a good distance away, you have to have some things "going on" with your truck.

5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Isn't that one of the most helpful replies anyone has ever seen on this forum? Excuse me for a moment whilst I exude joy, mirth and endless optimism.

:blob3:

6. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Chevyman1, Yes we haven't had to clean our deck since we made the Meg-Mo blades. I have never cut a deck apart to see the why the air flow keeps the grass from hanging up under the deck. DLCS also says he has not cleaned his deck since he put Meg-Mo's on his JD.

We know we can not please everyone. This is why we have a refund policy.
    We are running at 4% returns which is very good in any market.

We had an Exmark person call yesterday and is sending his Meg-Mo's back, he says his employees didn't like them. John Gamba has had good results on his Exmarks.

Come join us at the Louisville Expo, booth 3057, September 24-26. We will be showing our new closures. Hope to see you there.

7. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

thank you for your reply, but no thanks on the offer. I will be looking elsewhere, the more people I call and talk to in the Northeast, the more we all realize your system won't work for us up here...good luck

8. wrestlingcoach

WE HAVE 2 61" SCAGS WITH rAPTOR MULCHING BLADES

WE NEED TO BLOCK THE OPENING OF THE DECK

BUT FOR THOSE BERMUDA TRIANGLE AREAS WHAT DO WE NEED TO USE

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

For those "Bermuda Triangle" ares that you speak of, believe it or not, this is ONE (probably about the ONLY) good use of those walk behind vac units like the Billygoats. They are basically worthless for covering area, or picking up masses of leaves, but they do work well for tight area on windy days. They have the extension hose that works like a big vacuum cleaner. Someone could just go around the perimeter and do the nooks and cannies with that while someone else does the other work. Personally, I've always just used backpacks for the tight work like that. I realize that it is frustrating at times, but usually, if you can get the stuff out to the open, you're all set. Just use the blowers properly, and don't go into these entrance ways full blast. Work the stuff out at lower rpms, and then accelerate.

10. wrestlingcoach

i thought that was the thing to do

just hoping for something --- real easy