What's the best trimmer for hills-price around $300 ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smooth cut, Jan 28, 2007.

1. smooth cut

smooth cut LawnSite Member

I'm looking for a new string trimmer. A couple of my accounts have fairly steep, but relatively small sections of hills that have to be cut with a trimmer instead of a mower. I also sometimes use my trimmers for edging.
    Looking around locally I've come up with an Echo 260, 260S (a little lighter than the 260 which I'm thinking might be better on the steep grades), a 261T, and the RedMax BCZ 2400S and BCZ2600S-all within my budget. Any thoughts on these machines, i.e. pluses and minuses? In case it matters both local dealers (Echo & RedMax) provide top notch service. The only difference is that the RedMax dealer's labor rate is twice that of the Echo dealer. If the RedMax trimmers are reliable enough I guess the higher rate for service is a non-issue. What are your thoughts on this? Which machine would you want and why?

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Take the redmax light, and a lot of power.

3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

echo all the way!!! I have a 251 that I use as my everyday trimmer and I keep a 210 for when I have to do ditches or slopes. I like the 210 because its light (when doing a ditch I can use one hand), but most of all I've found them to hold up extremely well. New from dealer is $200 but I just bought another one on ebay for $75 plus $25 to ship it.

4. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

We have used the Echo products for a number of years and have had great luck with them.

5. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

my two favorite trimmers are the Shindaiwa t270 which they stopped making and the stihl FS250. Both of which are around $400-$500. These trimmers make trimming fast and easy when you can make 24" plus cutting paths and have power to spare.

6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Stihl FS100. The 110 if you plan on using any attachments.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I used to personally do a whole lot of that kind of stuff.
    Lots of slopes around here you need to "mow" with a trimmer.

The key to using a trimmer for a slope mower falls into two categories.....

1) A trimmer light enough to 'one-hand-it' down over the edge

2) A workhorse trimmer with enough power and durability to sling 20"-22" of line.

Most of the time, I want trimmer #2 over the other one. The reason being is that I've done some big slopes regularly in the past. So steep you can hardly stand on them and too tall to trim from the top or bottom.

So what I would rather have on a slope like that is a machine that I can walk across the face of the slope while fanning the trimmer head up and down the slope. One that can sling a big swath of line had more reach at the bottom and top (wider swath) and can mow more grass area per swing.

Trimmers like that make it a lot faster time-wise and you swing it less times.

So what you are looking for is a trimmer that fits you... and has a very good power-to-weight ratio.... and is something in the 25cc + class. I'm not going to jump on the brand bandwagon here... as those you have listed in that class would be fine. Just stick with 1.2 hp or more... and expect it will weight 11-12 lbs.

8. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I use echo 210's and 260's. Althought the 210s are small I think they are GREAT for the price. Even if I ruin one in a year they are so cheap I can toss them or put them for backup use. The 260's are great when lots of power is needed.

Cheers
    Jeff

9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

try the shin 272 -its a powerhouse!

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Get the Echo 261T and take the guard off and you will find that you can run about 24" of line without bogging down the machine. This is the high torque model and has adj on carb to ensure it runs at peak rpm regardless of temperature. The engine is still straight 2 stroke....tried and proven over the years.