Lawn Care Forum banner

What's the best Vibratory Plow pulling device

16K views 56 replies 14 participants last post by  Kiril 
#1 ·
I just picked up a Toro vibratory plow and it didn't come with a Grip(Chinese Finger). I'm looking to buy something that works well pulling 3/4" and 1" PVC. Looking online there are a few options, like the Chinese Fingers, Wedges or Bullet style. Anyone have any experience with pulling PVC, care to share any secrets?

#7 ·
http://plcunderground.com/browseproducts/Wedge-Grip-Pipe-Puller.html

I like the look of and looked at the king grip, but I opted for this one on the link above. It has a bullet built in, in addition to the one on my plow blade itself. I did however have an issue to adjust it for diff sized pipes often, so I just got another one so I can switch out the puller quick and easy .

Anyone have esp with that one I linked? curious.

I also have two different Chinese fingers, if needed.

#8 ·
I love to hammer down the 410sx in open areas. Great production machine. Sometimes it is a little to big for the average install but still turns better than the 255.

I've used a King grip, step grip, chain and now I enjoy using the square double sectioned grip. Which is pretty much like a chain...My days of beating and banging pipe on a grip are years over...Also I pull in sand 90% of the time...

#10 ·
In sand, you could pull poly with nothing other than a loop of chain, but PVC is another story. Ye Olde Pipe Piper couldn't pull PVC with anything other than a King Grip, but a modern plow has more options. Go to the trouble to use a King Grip (or Blazing Grip - same exact thing) and it won't let go of the pipe.

#14 ·
If you're also going to pull 3/4-inch PVC, that requires another grip assembly.

Also, you want to get a cheap adjustable open-end wrench as a tool to help hammer the shell tight. 10-inch is a good size. King had, and maybe still has, a specific tool for this, but you can do without it.

#16 ·

Also, you want to get a cheap adjustable open-end wrench as a tool to help hammer the shell tight. 10-inch is a good size. King had, and maybe still has, a specific tool for this, but you can do without it.
I use a hammer. We took out a body bolt and bolted in a hammer holster right on back

#17 ·

HAMMER...........WRENCH...........Different tools different purposes. Right tool, right job.

You silly.
Posted via Mobile Device

#18 ·
HAMMER...........WRENCH...........Different tools different purposes. Right tool, right job.

You silly.
Posted via Mobile Device
a picture of the King Grip 'wrench' would make it clearer, but I couldn't find one - imagine a clumsy-looking plastic Fisher-Price toy wrench made of steel (the opening fits the hex nut on the grips)

the hammer is the tool of necessity here - the open-end wrench goes against the grip shell and you're hammering on the wrench, and not on the grip - that provides some protection for the shell, and extends its life

#21 ·
I've been pulling pipe for 30 (thirty) years in fairly tough conditions with much success and have to tell you, I've had a pieces of 1 1/4" galvanized pipe for grips that attach to both 1" & 3/4" pipe. Simple, durable & cheap! The King grip I did buy in 1985 cost me in excess of $500. My current setup costs about $20.

#23 ·
If I can get a pic, I will post it. Basically, its a 7" piece of 1 1/4" galvanized pipe. One end is heated and mashed flat, with a 8" piece of chain welded into it. This end must be completely closed so no dirt can enter.

The pipe is attached by drilling thru an existing hole in the galvanized (located about midway) into either 1" pvc or 3/4" pvc. Just be sure to cut the hole out of the pvc when you are finished plowing it in....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.