What's the best Vibratory Plow pulling device

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mx315, Jan 2, 2014.

1. mx315

mx315 LawnSite Senior Member

I just picked up a Toro vibratory plow and it didn't come with a Grip(Chinese Finger). I'm looking to buy something that works well pulling 3/4" and 1" PVC. Looking online there are a few options, like the Chinese Fingers, Wedges or Bullet style. Anyone have any experience with pulling PVC, care to share any secrets?
  2. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe mdirrigation will check in, he pulls a lot of PVC. When ever I pull PVC I use a chinese finger type grip. When pulling poly I use a loop of chain.
  3. mx315

Do you use a double or triple strand Chinese finger?
  4. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

We have two 410's and a 255 - all with bullets.
  5. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Second the King Grip, or as another branch of the originating family calls it, Blazing Grip.

They are more involved, and a bit more time-consuming to use and maintain, but they don't let go of the pipe.
  7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

I like the look of and looked at the king grip, but I opted for this one on the link above. It has a bullet built in, in addition to the one on my plow blade itself. I did however have an issue to adjust it for diff sized pipes often, so I just got another one so I can switch out the puller quick and easy .

Anyone have esp with that one I linked? curious.

I also have two different Chinese fingers, if needed.
  8. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

I love to hammer down the 410sx in open areas. Great production machine. Sometimes it is a little to big for the average install but still turns better than the 255.

I've used a King grip, step grip, chain and now I enjoy using the square double sectioned grip. Which is pretty much like a chain...My days of beating and banging pipe on a grip are years over...Also I pull in sand 90% of the time...
  9. mx315

Thanks for the info guys. Capt I have 90% beach sand too, do you have a link for your puller? I'd like to check it out and compare it to the King
  10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

In sand, you could pull poly with nothing other than a loop of chain, but PVC is another story. Ye Olde Pipe Piper couldn't pull PVC with anything other than a King Grip, but a modern plow has more options. Go to the trouble to use a King Grip (or Blazing Grip - same exact thing) and it won't let go of the pipe.