1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What's the best Vibratory Plow pulling device

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mx315, Jan 2, 2014.

1. cppendergrast

cppendergrast LawnSite Member

I've been pulling pipe for 30 (thirty) years in fairly tough conditions with much success and have to tell you, I've had a pieces of 1 1/4" galvanized pipe for grips that attach to both 1" & 3/4" pipe. Simple, durable & cheap! The King grip I did buy in 1985 cost me in excess of $500. My current setup costs about $20.
  2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

id like to see this $20 wonder
  3. cppendergrast

If I can get a pic, I will post it. Basically, its a 7" piece of 1 1/4" galvanized pipe. One end is heated and mashed flat, with a 8" piece of chain welded into it. This end must be completely closed so no dirt can enter.

The pipe is attached by drilling thru an existing hole in the galvanized (located about midway) into either 1" pvc or 3/4" pvc. Just be sure to cut the hole out of the pvc when you are finished plowing it in....
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I'd have liked to have been the guy who could sell King Grips for $500 payup
  5. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

That would not be very strong at all. :hammerhead:
  6. cppendergrast

It's plenty strong. You pin the pvc pipe with a long bolt thru the hole you drilled thru the grip and the pipe. Its usually good for a 100' + run of pipe.
  7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

while ingenuity is great there, ill stick with a real grip, that can pull great lengths of pipe
  8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

What would be a great length of pipe? How far (in a straight line) can one realistically pull?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Never pulled pipe is why I ask
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  9. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

300 feet to me a really good pull even in our sand. I've never pulled in a true straight line. To me is getting around the back yard and back into the front with a 1.25 poly and a wire 18 inches deep is pretty dam good.

The curve really beats up a good pull!
  10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

yeah it does. I only pull full rolls about once a yr.