1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What's the best walk-behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by VWBug61083, Jan 17, 2000.

1. VWBug61083

VWBug61083 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

What is the best walk-behind mower. I'd like to buy a 36in, but I'm not sure what brand. I have heard good things about Scag & Exmark, mixed opinions about Lesco, also heard that Encore sucks. Which one is the best? What about Snapper?I haven't heard much about them.
  2. jakev

jakev Guest

Go with eXmark.. snapper is not made for commercial use in my opinion.
  3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I would buy an Exmark before a Scag. As a matter of fact I would buy most anything before another Scag. As you may guess I had a problem with Scag. I also had what was probably the first &quot;Florida Model&quot; Scag that replaced my original one. <p>On the plus side, if you don't cut grass in Florida you may be ok. :) And the Scag dealer and distributor recognized the problem and tried to correct it.<br>
  4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

What about that Troy-Bilt Walk-Behind? They are light, cheap and they are built by Troy-Bilt, so you know they're good.
  5. docshank

docshank LawnSite Member

Kent Lawns, I haven't seen the Troy-Bilt walk-behind that you are talking about. But I would be willing to bet that Troy-Bilt doesn't make it. MTD (not even MTD Pro) makes alot of Troy-Bilt's products. More than likely &quot;Light and Cheap&quot; is a good description of their walk-behinds. <p>----------<br>Doc Shank<br>
  6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Ive looked at the troy bilt for hahas. Its a light, thin homeowner machine. One heavy twig, or hardened dog turd and the blades and deck are toast. At least with a commercial mower, you have a 3/16 inch steel blade and deck to keep the errant stick and stone on the ground. But for $1300 it makes an expensive trim mower.<p>As for the sturdiness, the tillers were good until troy bilt sold out to garden way several years back then the quality took a dive. Make no mistake the new ones are nothing like the one your father had.<p>Bill
  7. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

I think their limited warranty covers &quot;hardened dog turds&quot; :) LOL
  8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I use a Toro Pro Line 15hp with a 44&quot; deck. The unit is a Hydro which is a must for time and ease. I added a Pro-Slide to tow my carcass around the big lawns and the mower is great. Its good in all weather also.
  9. Mow Ed the 52&quot; Toro deck is much better.<br>I have both decks. Because the 52&quot; has more<br>of an offset it trims better. Plus it just plain mows better and mulches better. Also<br>because the front casters are wider it is<br>more stable cutting across steep slopes.<p>A cheap way to upgrade to a 52&quot; deck is to<br>buy an old gear drive with a 52&quot; deck and<br>just switch decks (12 bolts and 2 belts).<p>The bagging kits (toro) are interchangable.<p>Try going to traderonline.com and look in the<br>misc. listing using toro as a search word.<p>A new 52&quot; deck is $1500+<br>You should be able to find a complete gear<br>drive unit with a 52&quot; for about $1k.<p>This way you also get a another complete spare mower just buy another sulky attachment plate.<p>IMHO you can never have enough lawn mowers.<p>
  10. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Don't knock the Troy-Bilt until you try it... :)<p>I used to have one that I used for getting into small gates. I just loved the 33&quot; deck and the compact size. Compaired to some WB mowers the short front(lengh)is great. Takes up less space on trailor, easier to manuvere, and it did have a beautiful cut. I especially liked the crank for adjusting the deck height. <p>But,ya'll are right about the deck...POS. And the frame was not strong enough for commercial use. The engine and drive train seemed to handle the load of everday use though.<p>If some manufacturer would build one in comercial quality I'd buy one in a heartbeat.<p>When I had my truck and trailor stolen, I had left the TB at home. While waiting for settlement, I borrowed a truck, loaded up the TB and mowed all 42 of my yards without missing a beat. Did that for 2 weeks. That $1400 machine saved my business, and gets my praise.<p><p>----------<br>Jim.....from Fouke, Arkansas (Home of the Boggy Creek Monster)<br>