1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What's The Best Walk-Behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Barker's Lawn Care, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Barker's Lawn Care

Barker's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I've got 6 yards and a Bunton 36" belt w/b and am ready to upgrade.
    I need some input on yazoo/kees. Anyone have one? This winter i can buy a:

-36" cut"
    -2001 or 2002
    -15hp kaw. v-twin

Is this a good deal? Are they dependable? What is good AND bad about Yazoo/Kees?

ALSO what mowers are you using? I've only got $2,500 so it'll have to be a used w/b. I am willing to try another brand, but needs to have the same characteristics as the one above. So if you have a recommendation or what i shouldn't get, PLEASE REPLY.

2. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Honestly its what you like, what feels good when your using it. How you like its cut and pattern, etc etc etc. Many will tell you go get Exmark or Gravely, but you just need to try them all and make the choice.Also if you like the brand you use stick with it.
  3. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

You're the only one that can decide which is best because not everyone has experience on every single mower out there. We can tell you which is worst from personal experiences. If you do a search (OMG I said it!), you'll come up with tremendous information to deal with. Then when you find a good deal, ask us and we'll give you our opinions. I personally like Bob-Cat, but a lot of people here like Exmark. I'll probably try one myself soon.
  4. mac43rn

mac43rn LawnSite Member

I have had three 36" wb this year.

1. gravely 1536g (piece of s%&t) (long story)

2. gravely 1536H (piece of s*^t 2) another long story

3. exmark 36" tthp (unbelievable machine). I could not be more happy. Take it from me, I really tried to tell myself gravely was just as good; but it just isn't.

I would not wish Gravely on my worst enemy. JMHO
  5. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Great Dane Gateway.
  6. Wayward

Wayward LawnSite Member

If you get a chance, demo a Hustler. They have a unique control system that you can even run with one hand. Plus they have one of the strongest decks out there.
  7. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

I run John Deere walkbehind's (Nothing runs like a deere!!)

My friend although bought a 36" bunton hydro with a kawasaki used 1 yr old with around 300hrs for 1800, so far he's had no problems, and he services around 20 yards...

Good luck with your business :)

Jim :cool: Rosemark Lawn Servicing
  8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I'm with mac43rn.

I just bought a new Exmark Turf Tracer HP (36"/ECS controls/15 hp Kaw) and this machine is simply fantastic.

Demo one if possible. For $2500 you would need to find a decent used one though. A new one runs a tad over $4000. I paid $4400 for mine plus another $200 for the Jungle Wheels sulky.

It all comes down to your preference but do seriously consider dealer support. A reputable dealer, with excellent service, is a really important factor in the decision making process.

Sorry that I can't comment on the Yazoo/Kees as I rarely even see one here in my service area. Surely some other Lawnsite members use them or know someone who does.

Good luck in your search for the "Perfect Walkbehind", Barker! :)
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If you only have 6 customers, you have $2500, and you already have a 36" mower, why would you be considering buying an "upgrade"? Is something wrong with the mower you have? Its real hard paying for a new mower with only 6 customers, so maybe you might want to keep what you have until you need to buy a bigger (52" +) mower.
  10. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Im with 65hoss on this one if this is all you have unless you plan to expand keep what you have. Maybe look into upgrading your handheld equipment.