1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

whats the best walkbehind mulcher

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by whiteclifflawn, Apr 27, 2005.

1. whiteclifflawn

whiteclifflawn LawnSite Member

I have owen a 21hp 52" scag hydro for 4 years, and I have a great contract comming up and I need either a great mulch kit for mine, or a whole new mower. I realy am leaning toward a 36" walkbehind. I am new to mulching. never had so tight of yards. The brands I have been looking at are exmark, scag and gravely. these are the best dealer suport/quality suppliers in my area. give me some input.

2. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Put MEG MO blades on with an ASC and you would be set to do the tight yards.
  3. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Put on the MEG MO blades with the ASC closure and you will be set to do those small yards. A lot less money than trading.
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

My vote is for an Exmark TTHP 36". Hydro, floating deck, great mulcher, I run hi-lifts with the mulch kit and it mulches better with the hi-lifts than it does with the Excalibur mulching blades in most mowing conditions.
  5. johnnyusa

johnnyusa LawnSite Senior Member

My vote exmark tthp
  6. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

How many hours a week do you need to use the smaller mower? If your not going to use it much I would get a 36" belt drive.
  7. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

I have cut with all three mowers mentioned. If you buy the block of plate for the Scag and run doubles ( lift blades over gators) it will mulch good. A good friend of mine has a 48" Gravely and it does a good job. My personal preferance is Exmark. I have a 36" and a 48" TTHP and my opinion is they are the best. Also there is no way I would consider a belt drive, especially in tight areas. You spend to much time shifting gears when you need to back up.
  8. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

No need to shift gears just squeeze the pistols until its in the neutral spot and pull it back wards. 36" are so light and easy to roll you can maneuver them anywhere. Plus the belt drive costs less than a hydro.
  9. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I don't wanna pull anything back lol......I just wanna walk backwards. I've been out 2 partial days with the new TTHP 48/19 and so far so good. Grass isn't tall enough yet to cause any issues but easy to use.
  10. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, on the Toro T bar belt drive that size, if you are good, you are always pulling back with slight incline in your favor, or complete flat, and it is SO EASY and fast, those mowers are darn light, and easy to do that with. In fact, on a hill you are at an advantage cuz it floats back, and a hydro will not.