What's the best way to advertise?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ol'Man, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Ol'Man

Ol'Man LawnSite Member

I'm starting a business, and plan to be up and running in the spring. Have equipment and trailer, I just purchased a Dixie Chopper for larger jobs. Problem is this time of year, most people have landscape services. How do you approach these people, in order to give bids. I have a couple of residental accounts now. I work a full time job, and the mowing business will be part time untill I can't do it all part time.

2. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

read guerilla marketing. 99% of any advertising works. You just need to find the least costly that produces best.

3. Ol'Man

Ol'Man LawnSite Member

what is guerilla marketing?

4. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

depends on your area.... i used door hangers for 2 years got the 1-2% return rate then i put a full page ad in the local pennysaver this past year in the spring 1 week before the "spring home improvement" section comes in where every landscaper advertises

let me tell you for 2 weeks straight i received hundreds and hundreds of phone calls and turnd people down more than anyone can handle we had to let everything go to voicemail after day 1 because it was un bearable probably would have need 3-5 operators to handle the calls it was absurd

basically i will not spend jan,feb,march handing out door hangers ever again which puts a huge smile on my face

5. Chris.S

Chris.S LawnSite Member

Check out warrioradvertising.com get your free report

6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I thought you had to be a paying sponsor to pimp your goods and services on Lawnsite?:confused:

7. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Be professional, do good work, provide good customer service and they'll reccomend you to others by the best and cheapest way of advertising: Word of Mouth.

Get some business cards also and maybe some flyers or doorhangers.

8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

YEP :rolleyes:

9. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Word of mouth is the best way to go. Do great work and the word will get around.

10. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Best way for me was an introductory letter about me and what I do sent to the homes I wished to take care of. I had a 12% response rate and 60% success rate on new customers. That was for lawns and roughly the same for snow removal.