1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What's the best way to fire someone?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Gene $immons, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't stand two new employees. I want to just tell them, like Donald Trump, "YOUR FIRED". But I usually sugar coat these kinds of things in fear of having tires slashed etc..

These two guys are brothers, and they like to stand around and BS just as much as work. One of them has a bad attitude as well.

So, Donald Trump style, or chicken out style?

I'll keep you posted.
  2. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never had a problem firing and employee.If my money is n't being spent correctly by employees then there out.Try separating them and see what happens if it continues then give um the boot.Always more people out there willing to work...
  3. WhohasHelios?

WhohasHelios? LawnSite Member

I agree about splitting them up. Make sure you have tried everything before you terminate them. But once that time comes, sugarcoating i find is usually a bad thing to do. Be considerate that they are going to be very hurt, this is some of the worst news they will ever recieve...But be firm, and tell them WHY.

"Bob, as you know, we have been trying to be really fair with you and have given you three chances to turn your attitude around. We have now decided to terminate your employment. (pause with eye contact. Give him a second to let it sink in...) This decision is effective today Bob. Here is your final paycheque, I will go with you to get your stuff. "

That works for me. I used to work in restaurants for about six years..and I had to let alot of people go in that time. Regretfully, I have also gotten rid of a guy in anger on a job once..That was REALLY not the thing to do..dont ever go there...

4. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Like said above try different things such as seperating them. Also if you have not told them you have problems with what they are doing and you are considering termination that usualy whips people into shape. Just let them know your standerds and if they don't preform up to them soon they are gone.
  5. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

I can't afford to pay him anymore...
    "I have been impressed with your performance in this field of work Bob, but due to the rising cost on a business owner, i am not financially fit to keep you any longer. You will have no problem finding another boss"

He was a poor worker, but a nice guy...
    "Bob, this was a hard decision for me to make, but i have decided to let you go. I no longer feel you are capable of being successful as an employee of my business. Maybe try working for someone else."

He was a complete pain in the neck, and irresponsible worker...

"Drag your a** before i shove a weedwhacker up your cornhole."
  6. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

The truth about firing an employee. An employee should never be shocked when you look them in the eye and say, your fired. They should see it comming and expect to hear those words all day, every day, untill you tell them different. Never lie to an employee about what they did wrong or why their leaving the company. If they screw up, you put them on notice in writting. If they screw up 10 times then there should be 10 signed write ups in a file. If you don't want to do that then just fire them and take your chances with unemployment comp. The worst that will happen is they'll get paid and your rates will go up and a year after they leave, they'll still be costing you money. If you can't confront them, then they run your company and you work for them.
  7. WhohasHelios?

WhohasHelios? LawnSite Member

I like that analogy. It is quite true, honesty is really the way to go. If you are unhappy with someones performance, let them know.

8. Georgia Bull Dog

Georgia Bull Dog LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Try not to get angry. These people like to get even not mad. Be cool. or call me I like to fire people, especially before a holiday Christmas etc.. love it... GRRRRR
  9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

You can't fire them the new employee quotes are too funny hate to see them go :rolleyes:
  10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Documented infractions, and then its get the freak out of my site before I dock you a days pay for standing around again looking shocked :realmad:
    When it comes time to fire an employee I've put up with enough BS that I'm not even thinking about being nice about it. But they new it was coming, at least most of the time from being warned, and all warnings are signed by the employee to cover my azz. Always have to be 1 step ahead of the low lifes and the law :D