What's the best way to handle the Sun?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bill8379, Jun 11, 2008.

1. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not talking about heat but I don't like the farmer tan thing. I've heard about people wearing long sleeves and gloves, I even had a temp help that wore that set up, I'm just not sure it would be for me. Dressing up like the taliban to mow lawns.

Whats the best way to stay untanned for a LCO? (an LCO that has to work in the field)

2. Nickos

Nickos LawnSite Member

hardcore sunblock

3. bill8379

I know sun block is good to prevent skin cancer (even though I've never really used it) but it prevents tanning?

4. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

Does sun block stop tanning? Please tell me your kidding. Of course it does!!!

If it was invented to stop cancer it would be called cancer-block.

peace

5. RHill

RHill LawnSite Member

It would be best to stay out of the mid day sun. If you have to work in the heat of the day, wear a light colored long sleeve cotton shirt and a hat and use a good sunblock on exposed parts of your skin. That is what I do if I am out in the sun after 11am and before 6pm

6. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

i thought sunblock only prevented burning and skin cancer... anyway why dont you want to be tan? to get rid of a farmers tan work without a shirt on while you're at home and even it out

7. bill8379

I never knew that, I live in Manitoba not Florida after all but it still gets hot and sunny in the summer here. I guess there was a product called Copper Tone and I thought it made to tan a certain colour LOL. I don't use this crap:laugh:\

8. RHill

RHill LawnSite Member

A High number sunblock will prevent suntanning and of course, help prevent skin cancer down the road.

A suntan is damage to the skin. Is your body's reaction to exposure of UV rays. Your skin produces Melotonin(sp) whcih causes your skin to darken

9. truckn

truckn LawnSite Member

You are still going to get some color even with a hardcore sunscreen. You won't get really dark with it but staying the same color is close to impossible.

10. bill8379

I'm going to get some sunblock.. last time I bought some, I never really used it because it was so goopy like hand lotion or something. I felt that it made dust stick to me even though dust sticks to me anyway.