What's the best way to make sure I don't miss answering the phone?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bill8379, Mar 20, 2008.

1. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Ever since I started working in this business I can't hear the phone ring or even feel it vibrate. With other things I do, it's quiet and I never miss a call. It bothers me when I miss a call and there is no message. I myself have called people for things like bobcating my backyard or stump grinding, and if they don't answer their phone, I phone the next guy on the list.

An answering service is out of the question as well. My brother in lawn tried that (he has large co. now) and from his experience he said the moment they started answering their own phones is when they became a real business.

Also I can't hire anybody. The last couple spring clean up seasons I hired guys to use all the machines and I would hand rake and bag... and answer the phone. I did that because it was quiet but I still miss calls almost every day due to loudness and vibrations from the machines.

I'm thinking I need a better phone or something, the one I got now is on it's last legs.
  2. Grassbuster

Grassbuster LawnSite Member

How about a headset like for a walkman? Go to your local phone store and tell them your problem, i'm sure they can help.
  3. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

Clip it to your T-shirt neckline while working?
  4. bill8379

If I bought a blue tooth head set would I be able to hear it ring in the head set without using that auto answer feature?

btw, I thought it was unhealthy to have cell phones close to your chest.. I'd like to leave it on the belt clip if possible. But the power rake really shakes you up lol.
  5. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is what I do, and it works.

First, you order a boom headseat at www.shure.com

Then, go get a hat like the military guys wear...the one with the band that you can clip things to?

go here for the hat https://www.epropper.com/products/20/Sun Hat-Boonie 100- Cotton.htm

Now, take the headseat and put it in your ear (it is a noise blocker so it acts as an earplug... stick an earplug in the other ear)

Feed the cord through a couple of loops on the hat and clip your phone to the back of the hatband. It leaves enough slack that you can actually take the phone from the clip and see who is calling. When you answer, even when you are operating machinery, you can hear them, and they can hear you.

My phone has a record feature and I can continue to work while talking to the prospective customer. When I have a few momemts, I play back the recording....writing down the pertinent info.

It really works better than it sounds like it does. Anyone who has seen me knows I do this and I get a few funny looks, but I can answer all incoming calls.

A bluetooth will not work well, because you have to stop machinery to hear or for them to hear you.
  6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

When it's fall, I cannot miss phone calls for firewood, because people will absolutely go on to the next ad in the paper.

Even if you answer the phone on the last ring, and you hear the "click" and call the number back from caller ID, invariably the number will be busy, and they will have already ordered a load from someone else.

I just put the phone in my sock.

I agree, in the pocket, whether in the shirt pocket or pants, I don't always feel the vibration.

In the sock, the sock holds it tight against your leg, yet you can usually get it out quick enough to still answer it.

If you still don't feel the vibration, either you've got a horrible phone, or you have medical issues.
  7. bill8379

:laugh: I would put it in my underwear but I might get a shock.:laugh:

I'll try that boom microphone Idea but with blue tooth head set, I just have to make sure that the ear piece will ring along with the phone. Not sure how that will work if I also have hearing protection on. I do like wearing hearing protection because I listen to mp3 players. I might need a phone that does both.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yep,...I'm with the person tt suggested the Bluetooth. It's the only way to go. I never miss a call, now. Another benefit, is that while you are doing something, you can still be communication while having both hands free. Now, while you can't talk on it while running power equipment, like mowing or trimming, you CAN use it while doing many other things. If i'm running the mower or something, I can easily shut down (to idle) and answer the call. All with a simple push of the button on the earpiece.
  9. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

although it is not safe to talk and mow/trim while talking it is possible no matter how loud. Get a Jawbone bluetooth headset. Best one out there for noise reduction and clarity.