1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

whats the best way to remove emblems from truck??

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by SpruceLandscape, Mar 13, 2007.

1. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I've got an appointment to get my truck lettered later this month. I need to remove the emblems from the doors and both sides of the tailgate so that everything fits nice. Whats the best way to remove them without spending hours on end and using too many chemicals on the paint? Someone told me to use a torch, but I'd rather not on a brand new truck, heat gun maybe.
  2. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

Emblem - you mean vinyl lettering or logo? Heat gun could soften your paint. use a common hair dryer - works good. hot enough to soften vinyl but not paint.:clapping:
  3. elmo1537

elmo1537 LawnSite Member

heat gun is better as you can run it for an extended period of time without overheating the gun but as mentioned before be careful not to get the paint too hot
  4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

i have a new dodge. i just took some channel locks, grabbed the emblem yanked them off. then took it to the body shop, they took the sticky crap off for free! or you can take it to the body shop and let them do the hole thing.
  5. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

what kind of truck you have?
  6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

If they are the emblem kind, run a strong piece of waxed dental floss, or light test mono fishing line behind it and it should slice right through it. If they are the vinyl decals, a heat gun on low setting used approx 2"-3" inches from the surface and in a small circular motion should warm the glue up enough to release with a slight pull. Just don't get it too hot and pull a piece of the clear coat off like I did (although I suspect there was an imperfection there when the sign guys put the first version of our lettering on in the first place).
  7. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

this is for my 06 ram. I'm pulling the ram logos, 2500, and big horn emblems off the doors but leaving the cummins emblem on the fender. Then I'm pulling the 4x4, SLT, and HEAVY DUTY emblems off the tailgate, but leaving the ram's head
  8. garrettlawn

garrettlawn LawnSite Member

I debadged my whole dodge ram 1500. Took about an hour. Firt take a piece of fishing line and more or less saw off your badges.. get in behind them and go at it. When all of them are off you will have some black felty sticky crap still on there. Take an eraser wheel (o' rileys is where I got mine) stick it on your drill and it will take off the sticky mess. Then take some wd-40 and spray over the area that you just ran the eraser wheel on and rub off remainder of junk. Polish and wax the areas that the decals were on two or three times and you should be good to go.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

after you remove the emblem just spray the residue with a soapy water solution and then use a razor blade. just make sure you keep it soaked with the soapy water.
  10. drelgan

drelgan LawnSite Member

If vinyl lettering, let nature help you. Put the side you want to peel facing the sun--after hour or so, peel them off. Home Depot has a liquid that is made to take the glue off--just put it on, let soak for a few minutes and rub it off. Your sign shop can tell you the name or let them do it.