Whats the best way to remove pine needles?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by syzer, Feb 15, 2001.

1. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you guys to effectively remove pine needles? I have never done it before, looks like a pain in the butt.

Precision Landscaping
  2. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

I've got some customers that have to have pine needles removed...The most effective way I've found is the old fashioned, raking...I don't like raking but I do on these two jobs...I bag them up and bring them to my house to use for future jobs...They're great for azaleas...So really, I make double...Customer A pays me to remove them, then Customer B pays me to put around plants...I'm sure there are easier ways but I haven't found one yet..Derrick
  3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

A quality back pack blower,a rake and a tarp!
  4. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I used to have this machine that would do it. Hmmm... what was it called? Oh yeah, a RAKE! :D
  5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I picked up a new account last spring and she wanted pine needles removed, there was a lot of pine trees and a lot more pine needles. I started raking the needles up but that became old real quick, I had a Toro Super Recycler 6.5 hp 21in. in truck and took it out to try. I was amazed at how it picked up the needles,some places had to go over twice but a heck of a lot easier than raking them up,also my lazer with ultra vac does a great job,mabey if there is enough room you might try your ztr with the peco vac.
  6. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

Just take your mower and mow backwards and blow them in wind rows and rake them up.
  7. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

I've always done it with a blower and a rake too. Was curious to know if anyone's tried using a Billygoat or similiar vac to pick them or leaves off a lawn? Russ
  8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Walker GHS and a back pack blower. Has anyone tried using the Walker dethatcher to loosen up the straw so the Walker will pick it all up. I only have one customer that has pines that need to be cleaned up, I was amazed at the number of binfuls that were there. We use the blower to loosen up the straw and sometimes have to do a few passes but it's lots easier than raking..

Rake is a four letter word.
  9. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

The easiest way to remove pine needles is to use a chainsaw. No pines, = no needles, works for me.
  10. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Here in the Pine Belt, my rake is rusting in the back of the truck while my Scag is humming along with a belt-driven bagger picking up the straw. I dump the hopper from the seat. If the straw is removed weekly while it is falling, it will do fine. If is a one-time clean up, the straw gets packed down. Don't think about mulching it though. It won't work.