What's the best way to remove Vinyl lettering?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by michiganlands, Nov 13, 2007.

1. michiganlands

michiganlands LawnSite Member
    from z 5

Just wondering what method to use to remove vinyl lettering from a vehicle without damaging the paint.

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

heat gun....really quick over top and peel with your fingers. you may burn your finger a little but its safe and then goof off or oven cleaner will take the glue off the back

3. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly what DBL said. Either do it after it has been in the sun or use a heat gun. I used my wifes blow dryer to heat up some stuck on wood grain on the interior of my truck. I followed it up with a little goof off to clean up the residue. Do not use goof off on your paint, you would want o use a detailers clay bar to remove the residue.

4. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

My Detail Shop Has Some Type Of "eraser" That Goes On His Pollishing Wheel That Takes Them Off. He Said He Could Deletter My Whole Truck In Less Than And Hour. And That Is A Lot Of Letters.

5. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a time saving deal. I would go for it. It was a pain in the ass to remove the lettering from the back of my toy hauler I can tell you that much!!

6. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

:) Erasers are not that great. use a hair dryer not a heat gun unless you put the heat gun to its lowest setting. Ace hardware sells a product called desolveit this works great for the removal of the glue residue.the vinyl useually comes off pretty decently when about 90 - 120 degrees. I have always used little blue squeeges and my fingers. I have removed enough vinyl to make your fingers hurt I used to have my own sigh shop and I have worked for other shops. Cutting grass pays better

7. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

A red heat lamp is another option.

8. MOWALLTHETIME

MOWALLTHETIME LawnSite Member

I would get after it with a blow dryer and an old credit card follow up with some 3-M adhesive wax and tar remover should work great. i have one of the eraser wheels and they kick butt on pin stripes and little car emblems but a whole company name and logo. if you go the eraser wheel route you will need a huge air compressor to run it constant.

9. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

3m makes the Erasers,they are great.we use them to take it off the old fire trucks and cars.you just put it in your drill and go to work.glue and all gone.

10. pj550v12

pj550v12 LawnSite Senior Member

Pressure washer. Learned by accident, but it's incredibly easy, plus you can get off some caked on mud.