Whats the biggest problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cheesedawg1, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

This is my first year in the lawn stuff and yada yada yada. For all of you that have been in this thing for years, what is the biggest problem you see with start up companies like mine and why they wont make it to far in this business?

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Many just think its quick cash. They don't really understand this business isn't for the weak. Most find out they suck when the going gets tough and extremely hot. Cutting their own lawn once a week isn't the same as all day every day.

Another thing is lack of cash flow mgmt. Cash flow will make or break you. Period!

Trying to be a jack of all trades and a perfector of none. One of the biggest mistakes I've made in the past was doing to many things. I spread myself to thin that I worked my butt off, but wasn't profitable.

Not being consistent with quality or showing up regularly. Both and each will grow you or sink you. Your choice which it will be.

3. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

You need to have good cash flow like stated AND a reserve. Cash flow was one of my hardest things when starting out, I mean I had the money to start but waiting on them invoices to come in is a b!tch!

Dont sell your self short,figure out your cost to operate and figure out your price from that.Find out the average market prices and take them into consideration.

4. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Finding decent help and working too cheap. And one I still have problems with, Worrying about what the other guy is doing.

5. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I find that you have to do a great job and charge accordingly. Know what you are talking about, dont try and bull---- someone. Be consistant and show up when you say you are going to. And dont try to get too big too fast. Be careful calling someone a SCRUB too. Just remember how you started. (Not saying you started or sre a scrub).I think you know what i mean. We all didnt start with 10 grand Zs or walk behinds.

6. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

What I have observed is that a lot of people think they are going to be successful/profitable right away. They go out & buy all new equipment and too much of it, spread themselves way too thin on the payments. Then I've noticed that they don't want to put any extra effort into it, quit at 5:00, no Saturdays etc... Most of them just come in and (unsuccessfully) ruin the price market for the rest of us. Start with what you've got, and buy what you need as your business grows. While it is true that a ZTR can outmow a WB on large lawns, if you've (meaning new business) only got xx number of lawns, suck it up and use a WB until you get more accounts.

7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Knowing how to bid, what equipment is best for your needs, and lack of reputation will be your biggest obstacles IMO. Every area is different. You will have to figure these out on your own.

8. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Lack of planning -or- lack of being prepared, however you want to put it.
    I don't mean on a daily basis, I mean from before you ever cut the first grass, maybe even before you ever had equipment.

The lack of being prepared also includes lack of money/ability to live the daily life while your biz gets its feet on the ground and starts generating a thing called PROFITS!

(Don't mean "you" in personal way, "you" meaning person that's going into this biz.)

That, and totally unrealistic expectations (visions of sugar plums and dollar bills dancing in the head).
    Too many think - Wow, I have a mower, I just cut a lawn for $35, I just made $35.
    WRONG!
    If this is the case for anyone now- Step away from the mower, and walk away now.

There's a lot of--- Duh, I don't have no clue--- going on out there.

9. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Planing is a givin, If ya guna be self employed this shouldn't even be a question or issue.

ONE WORD can sum it up IMO............INTEGRITY......If you hold your self high with this and do good work and incorperate integrity in all aspects of your biz you'll get there with out a dought, It just takes time and effort to get a good LCO going. Also YOU need to put in the hours................The hours thing is VERY important.

ALLWAYS strive to be better than the rest..........This is a relentless battle but you must allways give it ya all.

Not proceding with the above could be one of the biggest issues IMO.

All the rest comes with experiance.

I just read somthing about CASH FLOW too...............Ya don't want to be constantly running behind the eight ball!...........Trust me! I was in that position a couple of years ago.

Take it all in ya stride and try to maintain confidence in your self and your decisions.

Being self employed takes alot outa ya mate! You are either a person that can do it or a person who can't..............The only way to find out is to give it ya all.

Good luck to ya!

10. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

NEVER GIVE UP! JUST keep pounding out the flyers/door hangers after doorhangers/flyers..

My supervisor and I will be doing the doorhanger and flyer advertisement shortly! we will be doing it 4hrs a day for a few days til we complete 1000 door hangers.. then move on to 1000 flyers!