Whats the deal with gas can prices?!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KathysLGC, Mar 2, 2005.

1. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Last summer they where $6. for a 5 gal at walmart and now there $15! I knew steel went up but not plastic. Geez.

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Well they have to go up in price with the cost of gasoline. Can't put expensive gasoline in a cheap gas can. ;)

3. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Are they seriously $15 for a 5gal. can.

4. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I picked up two 5 gallon cans at Meijer for $11. But $15 for one? For that price you should just spend $10 more and get a metal can.

5. pcguy

pcguy LawnSite Member

The only metal cans I've been able to find around here run $40 plus.

6. kkat

kkat LawnSite Member

I dont know about your state but here in NY the plastic fuel cans now have to adhere to CARB emissions, and I believe have to have the new nozzle that shuts the flow of gas when your fuel tank is full, Seems that the old style plastic fuel can could actually let some vapors or whatever seep thru the plastic into the ozone, and also they claim that a lot of spillage was happeneding with using the old style nozzle, now the new cans are made with some kind of plastic that dosent let the gas vapors or whatever seep or evaporate thru it (I cant remember the technical term ) I was getting bullitins on this about 2 years ago and had to adjust my fuel can stock because It is now against the law to sell the old style gas plastic can . Maybe your state has complied with CARB rules also, It started with no more 2cyl , now plastic fuel cans, what until you see whats in store for mowing equipment, possibly ( vapor recovery systems, catalic converters, and then some ) happening in the not to far future.

7. KathysLGC

The only thing that changed is the nozzle so i guess your right. Now it's a spill proof filler tube that has a lip on it so when you go to fill your tank, you put the lip on the tanks inlet and push down, that opens the tip and allows for fueling. They are the same price at home cheapo too.

8. big_country

big_country LawnSite Member

Thats why you should move to a third world state like Kentucky, they aren't worried about emissions.

9. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Try a empty milk jug hey man they are free.

10. KathysLGC

Hmmmm haven't thought about using milk jugs.... I guess i could use scotch tape to hold the red caps on......

Here is a pic of the new design

gas can.jpg