Whats the deal with Merchants?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Absolute Weed C, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Absolute Weed C

Absolute Weed C LawnSite Member

I was in my local Big R store today. I was browsing thru the so called general use chemicals. Mixed in the with the general public chems i come across. Tempo Ultra, Redeem, Milestone, Sahara. Well, as far as I know all of these need a restricted lic to even buy. The tempo bottle even states it on the lable. The Amine they are selling is 48% 2-4-D. Redeem is Confront just under a different lable. Its no wonder trip, and chlor is making its way into the groundwater. Its not the professionals doing it, its the weekend warriors whos mentality is mix alot kill alot. I had my wife call the guy over while i waited in the background. She acted so stupid of what chem she needed to use to kill flies. The guy walks over to the tempo and says this one will do it. and she bought it without having to show a permit. I think its time to give my local AG office a call today and see what is the reason they have restricted chems if anyone can buy them over the counter...

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

that is the biggest prob is joe homeowner can get what ever they want and dump it right in the lake and get away with it "it all comes down to money"
    the homeowner has it and will spend it so nothing is going to change

3. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Remember all of the laws apply to commercial use only. Homeowners can buy anything legally.

4. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

homeowners cannot buy r.u.p. pesticides. anything else is open season.

5. lawnguy26

lawnguy26 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Atrazine is an RUP and still available to homeowners.

6. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

probably sold in a less concentrated formulation making it general use

7. lawnguy26

lawnguy26 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Doesn't really matter if the homeowner mixes it three times the label rate. And how many of them are only using it twice a year like the label states.
    Bottom line is, it's Atrazine, it's an RUP, and anyone can walk into any home improvement store and buy it. Just doesn't seem right.