Whats the deal?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by TXNSLighting, Oct 15, 2008.

1. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

This forum has been dead th last few days, whats going on??

2. S&MLL

S&MLL LawnSite Senior Member

....Dig em up

3. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

It's been like this for a week or so, and the old regulars are MIA.

I am very curious about how everyone's business is doing. I am off to cut lawns for the day, and waiting for my next round of post cards to circulate (any day now).

4. EOL

EOL LawnSite Member

On vacation for a week in Cancun.

5. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

I can tell you that I am interviewing next week for a job. My phone has been dead for 3 weeks and I am wrapping up what's in the pipeline in the next week or so. I am just going to hunker down indefinitely until the whole mess begins to recover, and that could be quite a while. Everyone around me is going to BK and either shutting the doors or getting a job. No one is spending money here. I ended up with shingles from the stress, so I getting a job. :)

6. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

It's kind of a mixed bag around here.

I guess either I'm just lucky or the economy hasn't been as hard hit here (yet.) A friend told me he signed a half mil landscape job (about an acre, includes a lot of masonry, hillside, stairs, patios.)

Other friends of mine with bigger operations have cut back. One who hasn't done any advertising in years is sweating over his phone not ringing. Another lost two landscape maintenance accounts, each over $600/ mo. when her raised them each by 5%.

I finished a partial backyard upgrade and replacements w/ 22 uplights and 9 pathlights on a job, and I'm replacing transformers and doubling capacity in two more areas of the same property to 2K W this week for future renovations that I hope to get done by December. (Still planning parts of it.)

Still fitting in irrigation repairs around this longer term job.

7. Litewerks Expert Lighting

Litewerks Expert Lighting LawnSite Member

It has been slow going here as well. I haven had a install for 3 weeks now! Hopefully it things will better soon or I too will be in the market for a job. I've circulated over 1000 flyers in 3 weeks (door to door marketing) with no response, I use to have this rule of thumb that for every 100 flyers i get one job. Currently that rule is out the window. Its rough my friends and I'm bout over it.

8. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Yeh this is super scary! I havent installed in over 4 weeks. i did an add on last week. Did a landscape job last week, and i got another add on next week. Nothing that is really going to help all that much tho.

9. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Job? :cry:

Which business is good during bad times? Bootlegging? We need to bring back prohibition.

:drinkup:

10. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Mary Louise Parker's cable show Weeds is sort of like a modern day version of a prohibition era entrepreneur.

The way it looks in the show, any business enterprise of that sort has lot of risks... from deadly competition, production issues, financing, and all that's entailed in living the life of an outlaw... Makes for an entertaining story, and Mary Louise is certainly a hottie, but I just think it would be even harder in real life.

BTW, a branch of my dad's family was involved in bootlegging during prohibition in western PA. The odd thing is, the way I heard it anyway, my dad's uncle was murdered after Prohibition was repealed, when there was tough competition for legal beer distributorships by former bootleggers...