whats the deal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chaduco19, May 17, 2004.

1. chaduco19

chaduco19 LawnSite Member
    from midwest

im in the market for a new hydro walk behind was thinking ferris but whats the deal with there DD its an eaton transaxel or transmission while just about every one else is using a hydro gear pump and wheel motor. which setup is preferable. more heavy duty. i would think since everybody scag toro exmark bobcat uses the pump and wheel motor its better but maybe ferris holds a patent on its drive system and its better and noone else can use it so whats the deal

2. Superior Lawn Care

Superior Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Im not real sure which is actually better but i have bobcat walkbehinds and i love them but i have also tried out a couple ferris and i liked tem also but their a little more expensive but that is probably what i will get when i want to get rid of these ina couple years. I would say try them all out and see which you like best

3. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

if you are talking about the single drive hydro, which i believe you are. that hydro axle is much cheaper to put in there small mower because there is no need for a seperate pump and two wheel motors. it is similar to lawn tractor hydros, they have a differential which enables one wheel to turn slower or opposite i believe while you are turning it. this makes the product much cheaper than a true hydro with a pump and seperate motors. the single axle however will give you a workout when turning due to the fact that you still must muscle it around turns. the only benifit is that it is a hydro.

4. rookiemower

so basically if you want true zero turn capabilities go with the seperate pumps and wheel motors:cool:

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, the Ferris Dual Drive consists of 2 (two) Eaton transmissions as such it steers like any other hydro. The maintenance on these units is easier than a conventional hydro setup because you don't have to worry about getting air in the system and there are no hoses to ever replace. Ferris has been making hydro walkbehinds since before Dane Scag was ever heard of and they know their business.

6. rookiemower

thanks richard io thought he was talking about the 32" single drive hydro

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Gee, I hate to do this to you but the SD doesn't come in a 32". 36" and 48" only. And they steer pretty easily too thanks to huge disk brakes. Yeah, I used to have one.

8. chaduco19

chaduco19 LawnSite Member
    from midwest

so whats the deal why dont they use pumps. or why doesnt everybody else use the dual transmissions. it just seems like if half or so manufacturers use one kind of setup its got to be good. i also know that ferris were the ones to introduce the hydro or at least thats what there web site said.