What's the difference between a Res. and comm. mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sedlmeier101, Feb 22, 2007.

1. sedlmeier101

sedlmeier101 LawnSite Member

I have the chance to buy a 2005 52" toro timecutter with mulcherkit and 19hp kawi motor. for 3300. it has <100 hours on it..pretty much brand new..but I looked on the toro site and it says this is a residental mower. so my question is..what is the difference between a res and commerical mower? I know reliablity..but how reliable is the residental..and will it hold up doing..lets say 10 lawns a week?

also...is this a good deal?
  2. ezyed

ezyed LawnSite Member

I have a four year old 48 inch timecutter that has held up good doing17 lawns a week. Change oil and filter frequently and grease all points when you change blades.(about 10 hours) good luck
  3. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Generally speaking, residential mowers liek the Toro Timecutter will not hold up to commercial mowing ... residential machines are designed for mowing just a few hours (2-4) per week, whereas, commercial mowers are extremely more durable and are designed to mow for 8 hours perr day, 7 days a week. If you plan to mow commercially (i.e-for a business) I would not recommend the Timecutter, it most likely will not hold up ... contrary to what ezyed indicated.
  4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Commercial mower have better/larger spindles, diff. engines, decks, pulleys, etc. Residential mower are not made to hold up to commercial use.
  5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

The difference?

Residential grade mowers are junk compared to commercial-grade mowers.

3300 will get you one hell of a used(in probably very good shape) commercial walk-behind which will be more productive and STILL last longer than the timejunker, even though it's used.
  6. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

For $3,300 dollars you could get a used commercial walkbehind with very low hours. Commercial mowers are just heavier built. Spindles, decks, etc. Nothing wrong with a toro time cutter but won't take the abuse that a commercial mower does.
  7. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello,difference is like black and white
    alloy spindles with plain ball bearings or billet steel with tapered roller bearings on full commercial
    thin walled decks
    poorly designed decks
    way way under powered 4 productive mowing
    way to small a belts to handle the hp
    low quality maybe throw away transmission

In saying this there are some commercial mowers that try to pass there product as full commercial eg 25 plus hp with a hydraulic belt that stuggles with more than 10 hp and as a result gives poor life and degraded performance[oem has had numerous mods in an attempt to fix this ]

good luck with the time cutter, if it lasts great! Remember it is a domestic unit.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

You might make it thru the year with that machine, although it does already have 100 hours on it (maybe 2-3 years of residential mowing?) With the emphasis on 'might'.

Plain and simple a residential machine is built with much less-durable parts and steel...it's designed to be used once a week. Even with only 10 clients at year's end that's a 10 year old machine. And you don't want to buy a new mower every year. Now realistically you can push most residential mowers beyond what they were designed for...I started with a Harry Homeowner JD 21" and cut around 650 lawns before the tranny fell out. That was excellent production out of that machine but a residential unit is a band-aid at best. My advice, buy something commercial and save money...at 10 lawns a week you'll likely go a looooooong time before that thing needs anything more than an oil change.
  9. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

thats like asking whats the difference between Ford & Chevy.... and its a simple answer! Chevy is just better and will hold up longer! just like a commercial mower vs. a residential mower.
  10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Hi Raven:waving:

I see you had to get your chevy up there in your avatar:rolleyes:

Oh well, I wouldn't want you to feel ganged up on:)