What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by b727guru, Mar 3, 2005.

1. b727guru

b727guru LawnSite Member

I want to know what is the difference between me buying pre-emergent at my local Lowe's or Home Depot and buying at a Lawn Mtc place that specializes in herbicides and fertilizers.

Thanks for the help.
    Guru.

2. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

No difference, other than quality, maybe. Lowe's or HD usually don't care if their products get wet, etc. Lesco, etc. usually take better care of their products, and the products are usually a better grade, plus they have more of a selection.

Where the difference comes in is when you charge to apply it. That's when you need to have a license. Especially in GA.

3. b727guru

b727guru LawnSite Member

So does this mean, that licensed applicators purchase their stuff from Lowe's and Home Depot and no difference in outcome?

I want to put it on my lawn and was wondering if I should get a specialized person to do it or I apply it myself with my Scotts Spreader and the stuff from Lowe's or HD.

4. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Often the % of active ingredient is lower a home impovment stores. An excellent example is Roundup. you'll have to pay attention to the percentages.

5. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

Well, again, it goes back to the quality of the product that you're applying. I won't buy stuff from the hardware stores because they don't take care of it at all. Same with WM. So long as you do your homework (research) and Read And Follow The Label, you should get the outcome that you desire. Good luck!

Grazer - that's absolutely true.

6. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

It's all about %'s of active ingredients!

7. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

You can purchase 0-0-7 Pre-em with the same percentage of AI at both Home Depot and Lesco. Price is most likely very close as well.

But at Home Depot that is probably your only option in the Lesco line. At a Lesco service center, you can get that same product with a stronger percentage of AI or also mixed with different blends of fertilizer.

HD carries the Lesco with Pendimethalin and Scotts with Dimension. Either one of these would work for you, but the most imporant thing with pre-em is to apply the correct amount. More is not better in this case. Pendimethalin will cause some root pruning of your turf, which can be a problem when overapplied. Apply too little, and your barrier breaks down too soon, resulting in weed growth.

8. b727guru

b727guru LawnSite Member

Very interesting. So for the avg homeowner, the active ingredient is lower. Is this because the homeowner would not be experienced enough to handle herbicides? In other words, to protect him from himself?

I saw the Lesco brand at HD and considered purchasing it but I thought that maybe it's the "watered down" version for homeowners.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

No B727 your wrong on this point.

Retail stores sell mostly the same Active ingredient as the chemical supplier. The big point here is IT IS NOT WHAT YOU USE BUT HOW YOU USE IT.

Your customer are not paying you to apply chemicals to their lawn, they are paying you for Results. Your results are directly related to your knowledge base, NOT where you buy your chemicals.

10. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto to what Ric said. The cost may be higher at Home Depot but for all piratical reasons its the same stuff. Now, how do you know what one you need to buy? And how much and when do you put it down? The label will help, but a seasoned professional will get better results than the home owner.