whats the difierence in using a straight trimmer or curved trimmer.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kebrowns, Jul 22, 2012.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

If you want to be bent over a trimmer all day get a curved shaft...they are ideal for hurting your back.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have a dozen of each. Most times guys get the curved. There red max models. Lighter. Easier. And we use all .095 line.

Large accounts - certain guys trim certain things with curved and straight. Depends upon use but lately - like last 6 weeks we haven't mowed much due to brown, dead, drought infested lawns so our equipment is getting a rest way to early this year!

3. Dimples82

Dimples82 LawnSite Member
    from NC

I agree with you. The biggest difference is sore back at the end of the day.

4. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I have a curved shaft. Sometimes when she messes with it it turns into a straight shaft.

5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I haven't used a curved shaft in years, but last time I did it SUCKED bent over more than I normally do for my stihls. Why are all trimmers made for short people.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Because many of the people who use them are amigos... ;)
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

At 6' they all are to short. I would rather trim over running a mower but after a few hours my back is jacked.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. 2stroked

2stroked LawnSite Senior Member

You are entitled to your own opinion, even though it is wrong. :dizzy:

Now IMO curve shafts are harder to trim with, cut crappier, you can't reach underneath stuff and they generally just suck. Buy a straight shaft; there's a reason pros use them.

9. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

I only own straight shaft trimmers.

my comment about not edging with them applies to both curved and straight shaft trimmers.