What's the easiest way to "cut in" an overgrown edge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pecker, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Possibility of doing a cut in job on a property that hasn't been edged since April. Just wondering what is the most efficient way to do it and what tools you guys would recommend. The reason I ask: I only know one way and it ain't pretty. Figured I'd: 1. make sure it is real dry (not a problem lately) and 2. run the stick edger (don't have 3wheel one) down where I think the edge actually is, then 3. go back with the string trimmer and trim what will trim, then 4. hit the rest with a shovel, then 5. blow it to get the dirt and debris off the concrete (as much as will blow anyhow).
    There's gotta be a better way.
    Better method anyone???
    Also, what would you charge? Working solo on this one, I think I can do it in 30 minutes. This is not a regular, but lives next door to a weekly (and is not interested in scheduled mowing. . .obviously).
    Thanks.

2. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer just like that.I do pretty much what you said except i didn't need a shovel.I charge her 20 bucks for about 15 min. because it is next to 2 others that i do.I only do hers once per month.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

How grown over is it? Will you really actually need a shovel to cut it away if it's been done in April? I'll tell you the BEST thing that works for that is.... If there is like 5" or less of overgrowth on the hard surface, then use a Hula-hoe (not a Tahitian callgirl). It is otherwise known as a scuffle hoe, or "action" hoe. It has the rectangular loop shape on the business end of it, and this cuts the stuf off the cement AND seperates it from the edge. It's awesome for edging. My first recomendation would be a wheeled edger for an initial edge like this, but if you have a stickedger, well then have at it!;)

4. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Mostly the right tools, but I'd go about it in a different order.
    Is it overgrown just with grass or is there dirt buildup also?

If dirt, use square point shovel first, working from middle of walk or far side of walk, slide shovel on ground toward edge to be edged. Loosen dirt all the way to edge. Use stick edger then blow.

If only grass, make multiple passes with stick edger, depending on how overgrown, might blow in-between. After final pass with stick edger, blow it.

If you are mowing also, depending on the volume of trimmed cuttings, mulch when mowing. If not mowing, rake & bag.

To complete a really professional look, consider washing down area when complete to clean off 'dirt' look.

I'd probably charge between $23 to $30 depending how just how difficult the task really is. If raking & bagging, be sure to include that time.

BTW, Don't know why you'd want to use a string trimmer, why not complete with stick edger?

5. sigmapibama

sigmapibama LawnSite Member

The edger separates the grass from the concrete, but overgown grass sticks to the concrete or asphalt. The weedeater trims this grass away from the surface, and is necessary for initial edging.

6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

string trim first to see what you're doing..then stick edger, wheeled or not, then string trim vertically to make it neat . As said above, it shouldn't be that difficult if done back in April. $30

7. Now I find this out. And I have one of those in the garage!
    I just finished a monster job that had never been edged. I've been hacking away on it since April. That loop hoe would have helped.

Here's a pic of the north side of the block that I edged. The south side of the block has a much older curb and walk. It was lots harder to edge. Luckily the street by the school has no walk at all and the east side of the block I didn't have to edge because it's all paved. I used a 3 wheel JD edger and a flat shovel.
    I wonder what I could have got if I charged them by the foot.:D

dayton curb 7 walk resize.jpg

8. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

Same method here. One thing I do is I will tilt the edger a little to put the blade against the concrete to cut out some of that bitty grass that seems to stick there no matter what. I also sometimes will walk backward cutting with the edger after putting in the first cut.

Steve

9. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Edging should be done with the proper tool designed for that purpose. Mclane, Little Wonder, Tru Cut and yes even Craftsman make machines specificaly designed for edging.

Drop the blade against the concrete and walk. May have to muscle it a bit, scrape it with a spade, then edge again. Always keeping the blade against the concrete.

Pick up the sod, sweep the dirt together, pick it up. Blow the rest to piles and pick that up. We try to throw the as much dirt behind some bushes. We pay per ton for dumping.

10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Glan's got it right. Edge w/ walk behind edger, shovel up, re-dege or hit stragglers w/ trimmer. Sweep into piles, pick up then run blower. Don't run blowe w/ out sweeping, or not only will you look like Pigpen, but the client & neighbors will be alwfully ticked off w/ all of the dust flyhing around, especially if you set off their smoke alarms!

This happened at my house when a scrub was doing work at my neighbors place. We came close to getting into blows over it. Told him he'd get the bill if there was a problem w/ the hardwired heads. What a mess and what an idiot. BTW, I haven't seen his trucks around in years - wonder why??