What's the easiest way to get a walk-behind aerator into a truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ostrichsak, Mar 31, 2012.

1. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

I love the tailgate ramp, like in my pic below

2. ostrichsak

ostrichsak LawnSite Member

That's pretty tiny. Got some bigger pics and details?

3. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

4. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I had the same dilema when i first got an aerator, I use a bi-fold ramp that you attach 3/4" plywood to, you can make it as wide as you like, mine is 30" also has side rails, but not really needed, just part of the design, got at local supply store and plywood for home-depot. the ramps with metal plates are ok for mowers but an aerator can be a bit more difficult, especially if the tines drop down while going up the ramp, which can happen. Best of luck witht the trailer.

5. MillerIn503

MillerIn503 LawnSite Member

Found this set up the other day. I too am avoiding the trailer aspect. Streets can get pretty tight here in Portland. http://www.tailgateramps.com/

6. I'magenius

I'magenius LawnSite Member

Hey Jc I cant make out the brand on this one. Could you provide a name and number or a link? Thanks for the help.

7. locallawncare.ca

from Ontario

8. Executive Lawn Care

Executive Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I have a bluebird lawn aerator, when I felt daring I would use my two steel ramps. when load I would drive it up one ramp with the center wheel, and when unloading I would line up both ramps and use the two small rear wheels to go down the ramps.

I typically used a 5 X 6 trailer which works great for aeration. For next season I will purchase a 5 X 10 or 12 enclosed trailer to store all my lawn care equipment. Still is a shame to haul around the enclosed for aeration.

9. MillerIn503

MillerIn503 LawnSite Member

locallawn, you just saved me a grip of money in start up cost. Thanks... http://www.weststeel.com/utility-ramps Locations to purchase are on the link. Although, I will be going with the 6" model. Being that I am starting with a WB 25" only to start(yBravo BBC I hope) and will consider different setups as I grow. Buy as needed mentality.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  10. locallawncare.ca

from Ontario

No problem, I use that ramp specifically for aerations with just a truck, no need to bring trailer, also you can make it as wide as you need, its very strong(basically as strong as the wood you use), I used 3/4", but 1/2" would work for lighter applications. Also I found that if you want to make a wooden ramp that folds, you can use garage door hinges, they are very strong and lock out at 180 degrees (flat postition). All the best. Also Princess Auto is like the Tractor Supply store, Im sure the name varies place to place.