whats the easist way to clean a mid mount zero turn deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by heyfishguy, May 22, 2006.

1. heyfishguy

heyfishguy LawnSite Member

I was just wondering what you guys do to clean your midmount zero turn mower decks like the gravely models. How do you get undeneath? Do you use ramps, or jacks etc. I know with the front mount ones like the walker you can just flip the deck up, but on the mid mount ones it seems like it would be a pain to have to clean wet grass and caked on stuff. Any help would be great i just bought a 34" gravely. Also is their anything I should do to the deck before I cut grass with it for the first time like use carnuba wax on the deck or something. Thanks
  2. Tim Johnson

Tim Johnson LawnSite Member

buy a jungle jack, and use a power washer
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Pull on on the trailer ramp with one wheel off and use a sharp shooter to clean it out. Using water makes a pretty big mess sometimes unless you have a place to clean it. Don't know about using wax?
  4. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I use a small jack, about 12" to 14". I jack the front tip up and use a 3 inch putty knife, takes about 5-10 minutes. I do this almost every night if I mulch.
  5. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a chain hoist 5 ton for 50 bucks then I use an old pulley belt and loop it through twice lift it up and scrape away.
  6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats what I always do.
  7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Just to be more specific, drive up the ramp with either front left caster wheel off ground, or go the other side with front right caster wheel off. You can clean, change blades. As for cleaning? plain water in pail bucket and towel. You only need to take out clumping and dead lump no need to wax or super pressure wash cause spindle have to stay dry inside and safe.
  8. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

For a new deck and freshly cut grass, I use a paint stir stick. They are longer than a putty knife and they dont scrape and scratch the paint off the deck. For the stubborn stuff a plastic or metal putty knife works well.

I still pressure wash the mower once a week and really clean the deck with it. It does a great job, but it is a lil messy.
  9. aDreamSoReal

aDreamSoReal LawnSite Member

You can build it for just over 20 bucks.

10. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have plans that you can email?