1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Whats the expected mower battery life?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jajwrigh, Mar 30, 2005.

1. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Any ideas? ;)
  2. Grasman

Grasman LawnSite Member

I have been getting 2 to 3 seasons on most of mine. I don't take them out or trickle charge them over the winter. If I did, probably could get 3 to 4 seasons. Had one mower with a bad voltage regulator and only got about 5 months. I always carry a spare battery.
  3. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

I believe my grandfather still has the OEM battery in his 1992 wheelhorse, always tricklecharged exc

but in most other newer equipment I dont se a reason why a LT battery wont go atleast 2-3 seasons
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure how long they last but mine get replaced after 3 seasons. The last thing I need to happen is to try to start a mower and the battery is dead. BTW, I believe the best battery you can buy is the Deka Outdoorsman. The outgassing is virtually non-existant making battery post cleaning a bi-annual job.
  5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

same as the above 2-3 seasons.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

3 to 4 years if am lucky,where do you buy a deka outdoorsman
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

9. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

if properly maintained they should last 20 years!
  10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

You must have some very smooth lawns! The plates usually start to separate after about 3-5 seasons of bouncing around, leading to a battery's demise. Gel filled are probably better. It's too bad Optima doesn't make a lawn mower battery - they have no plates to seperate.