What's the fastest/easiest way to sand a 1/4 acre lot?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by exmarkking, Mar 18, 2014.

1. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't need help on how to do it, I'm asking what's the best way you have found to complete the job. It's for my personal property, new home, and I'm wanting to mow it with a reel mower this year and need to get it leveled out some.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. MasScape

MasScape LawnSite Senior Member

Top dresser best way on established lawn
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe I can rent one..I'll have to check around
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. TTS

TTS LawnSite Senior Member

Depending how big your property is you could try a golf course. They have the nice ones that are like a golf cart with a bed or some use smaller trike type machines to sand. They may or may not rent it though.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe us northern folks are just idiots, but I never understood why people put sand on soil to make grass grow. I never saw grass growing on a beach?

6. TTS

TTS LawnSite Senior Member

Sand on top helps make a lawn driveway smooth. Also in poorly draining soils adding sand to the mix breaks it up a bit allowing for better drainage. Thats what I've learned so far but I'm far from an expert.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

In the midwest, we have great soil. Lots of rich black dirt. Some clay and slightly high pH.

The golf courses up here topdress with sand in some areas (putting greens) after aerating.