1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What's the fastest way to dig 3 gal holes?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by General Landscaping, May 30, 2007.

1. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

What's the fastest way to dig 3 gallon holes?
    I've got a job that will warrant the use of something other than a shovel.
    Looking for somthing not tractor or skid mounted.
    Soil conditions are mostly sandy with some tree roots thrown in.
  2. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

one man hand auger, dingo with auger
  3. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

you can get 3 gallon auger bits from am leonard or gemplers and they attach to a stihl gas powered drill or comparable unit.
  4. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

One or two man auger , but there is no faster way than a miniskid mounted auger.
  5. General Landscaping

6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I bought a plant auger and welded a shaft to it and use it in my echo gas powered drill. got roots to ? bring along a cordless sawzall
  7. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

8. General Landscaping

That's the closest I could find on either of those two sites. Can you just "waller" it out to 3 gal size.....7" at the bottom and 9" at the top?

I'm really scratching my head because of the shortage of options here.......
    I would think these things would be all over the place and everybody would have one or two; and someone would be importing them from China for $30 each:confused:

I feel like I'm looking for something that most people know better than to use.

Can a large electric drill run one of these, or does it take a gas model to get it done right?
  9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

you start getting that large a 1/2" shank won't have enough holding power when the going gets tough. Heck my bulb auger gives me fits up here.

All the digging Ive done In orlando, it was pretty easy. nice sandy soils make for easy digs. how many holes do you need to dig?
  10. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

I dont see how you are having problems finding a gas powered auger. Every rental store has atleast 2 and has sevral bits. Even home depot has them for rent.