What's the fastest way to do spring cleanups?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CharlieBingo, Jan 14, 2005.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

This year I want to smash through spring cleanups. So I want to plan well (different methods, game plans etc). I'm thinking Jrco rake on a Lazer and then suck it up with the Ultra Vac. After I blow the beds out. Is this the best plan? Any suggestions for the most efficient method?
  2. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

higher layborers and just do it like the rest of us
    dont get fancy it doesnt work out well. blowers , push blowers, leaf plow, and truck loader, get em done FAST
  3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I hate to admit this given all the equipment we have but if you cant dump the leaves somewhere on the property, and you dont have a leaf loader, the fastest way is to blow/rake the debris onto tarps. Saves enormous time as we layer the tarps inside the enclosed trailer and then easily pull them off 1 at a time at the dump site. If its allot of debris, we take the mowers out of the trailer and come back for them after we unload at the dumpsite. We used to bag cut back flowers, small leaf accumulations, etc but that takes far longer than tarping and hauling to dump site. Sometimes I find that the old fashioned way of doing things is more efficient from a time perspective.
  4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Let someone else do them. I hate spring clean ups.
  5. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a good plan to me. I bought a JRCO tine rake a few years ago and it saved a lot of time. And with the Ultra Vac, it'll go even faster. I've been getting by with a grass gobbler.
  6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

me too, I don't mind fall clean-ups though, cooler out, and getting closer to race season. :)
  7. some

some LawnSite Member

Hey,Charliebingo,and everyone,
    What you said in your post is what i did last spring. I work bymyself and am always looking for a faster better way. I purchased a 61" turf tiger w/29HP kawi and the collection system,and theJRCO tine rake. This was a great set up,the only thing is right around the end of April i had to break the set up down to mow.I was still getting alot of calls for clean ups.

Try that method,it will work.

8. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

We've been using the jrco rakes for 15 years now and there is no comparison to a yard that had this attatchment used compared to one that didn't. Anyone can just fly through a clean-up. I think it is clean-ups that seperates High quality services from the rest.
  9. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

by the way, those of you that said let someone else do them. Nice suggestion that's really helpful and I'm sure it is the information he was looking for. No wonder you guys have so many posts you respond with to every thread with a comment whether you have any insight or not. :sleeping:
  10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks! Always willing to add my two cents and help someone out.

If you're done being a jerk, maybe you'll think about what I said. Spring clean ups are a pain in the butt and more difficult than fall clean ups around here. Because of the weather around here, spring clean ups really can't be done effectively until mid April, when mowing season starts. Wet lawns, high winds that bring down branches and blow leaves, cold weather, etc prevent effective cleanups earlier in April. Faced with the choice of advertising, doing estimates, and actually mowing lawns which is more productive and brings a greater revenue than doing a few cleanups, and doing spring cleanups, I'd rather let someone else do them. When I do take them on, they usually create scheduling problems and are more trouble than they are worth. Which is why I usually let someone else do them. And which would be my advice to anyone who asked me, what's the fastest way to do spring cleanups. You can spend your time chasing every little buck that comes your way, or pull back and look at the bigger picture and concentrate your efforts in chasing the most effective, smartest bucks that are available.