what's the funniest thing someone said to you after your estimate?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joshua, Apr 9, 2003.

1. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine happened today. I was getting gas and a beat up car pulled in and asked what my rates were. I said the rates and the lady said " what the **** you building a cathedral. " As she finished i looked up not knowing wheather to laugh or walk I away I explained that i have the costs of business insurance, truck insurance, gas, equipment costs, and taxes. To my surprise she gave me her addresse and i walked away.

Post your best ones.

2. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I've had a lot better than that, but I cannot say what exactly they were.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

customer: nobody is worth that price..are you kidding me

me: sorry sir, but those are the prices

customer: damn punk kids stealing my money, back in my day....

me: i walked away trying not to laugh

4. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Most times i give a bid and they say your to high i will get someone cheaper. I tell them i hope you don't go with the lowest price if you ever need a heart transplant.

5. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

alot of people think we are little mikey around the corner.people also think it doesn't take much to run a landscape operation.
    they also think were stupid *sses that live on well fair.i would tell you the remarks i got just this week but i would get kicked off lawn site

6. Bergbigler Lawn Care

Bergbigler Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Bout 3 years ago i got a call from a lady that wanted a bid on mowing her yard. She stressed that she wanted it mowed every week no matter what. So I show up and give her a bid of $30.00 per cutting. She says that is WAY to HIGH and I am crazy for thinking I can charge someone that much just to mow the lawn and trim. She said thanks for coming but she was going to get other bids. She also told me as i was getting into my truck that "little Johnny" down the road use to cut it for $8.00. Well as it turned out 2 days late i got a call from this lady. She said she had 5 other bids and mine was the cheapest and she wanted me to take care of her lawn. The second time we showed up to mow she was backing out of the garage, Yep she was driving a brand new BMW, only 2 months old. She made her self look like one of the poorest people you could imagine though.

7. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

I took a look at a lawn and gave a price of $30 for mowing. They said that is for the whole season, right.

Ray

8. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I had one lady tell me "you joking aren't you" and I said no a walked away smiling. Got the account two weeks later.

9. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

damn your high !! damn rite i'm high an i feel good !! you either afford me or you dont see me!!

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Today was a very big surprise. I'm at a current customers home. Guy comes up to give her an estimate on siding her house. Gets out of the truck and brings me his card with his address on it. Says the guy doing it for the last 3 years got married over the winter and the new wife made him quit and sell the equipment. I tell him $35 per cut and he says will you take $40? Huh? Seems as though the last guy was getting $40 and he thinks that is very fair and happy to pay it.

Last week I picked up a new customer. She wants to know if she can pay the bill monthly. Sure. What she means is, she is paying me up front each month. Seems as though I came highly recommended and she wants to make sure I get my money up front.

Did have a female customer once ask if she could work the debt off. I don't mean cutting grass either.