1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Whats the going pay scale for 2006

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Ferrante's Lawn Service, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Ferrante's Lawn Service

Ferrante's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from N.J.

Just want to see what you guys are offering your employee's this season.
  2. MMEC

MMEC LawnSite Member
    from East

I had a worker at 17.5hr. Keep in mind that we only work 7.5 months a year. But he was banking near a G a week with OT. And is currently on unemployment. I am going to offer him salary. What do you guys think is fair and reasonable?
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

laborer/mowing crew gets $17.50 an hour, crew formen gets $22.50
  4. MMEC

MMEC LawnSite Member
    from East

What do you guys think is fair and reasonable for his year round salary?
  5. John from OH

John from OH LawnSite Member

Before you put him on salary, be aware that are very strict guidelines as to who can be paid a salary. Please check with an attorney well versed in labor law. As I recall, someone on salary has to be in a supervisory position and most jobs in the green industry do not qualify. There used to be a loop hole called the Flucuating Work Week or something similar. You paid a base salary and then paid overtime on any hours over 40 per week. The overtime was at 50% of the base rate instead of time an a half. It was assumed that that the salary base cover the hourly rate so only overtime (50%) was paid in addition. You also have to make sure that in a high overtime week, at least minimum wage was paid for all hours worked before overtime. (for example, salary was $400 per week, 80 hours worked, that's only $5 per hour and would not meet the criteria) Again, salary sounds like an easy way to go, but, the government doesn't always agree. You would not want to pay this person on salary for a few years and then find out you owe overtime and back taxes because he did not qualify.
  6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

DAMN some guys on here would be better off working as one of your foremans at $22.50 an hour.
  7. MMEC

MMEC LawnSite Member
    from East

Thanks for the info I appreciate it.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

LOL, some have even said that J :laugh:
  9. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, thats a lot of money for a crew member. My first mowing job working for someone else about 60 hours a week I was bringing hom 500. I would have gladly accepted 17.50 an hour.
  10. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

If I was to hire someone again, i would start at $8/Hr. Depending on experience up to $11/Hr