Whats the going rate for an engineer?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by alexschultz1, Sep 25, 2013.

1. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im just checking on prices. My guy charges $800 per retaining wall up to 100'.

2. Impact-Vector

Impact-Vector LawnSite Member

In Atl that's a good deal.

Most times I see around $1300 as a starting point.

3. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You want his number? He's based over in Woodstock but travels if he needs to

4. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a great price. Treat him well!

5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed. That's pretty cheap. Keep using him! My guy would charge about double that.

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

But only by rail :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I have an engineer that usually charges $700 to $800 for engineering retaining walls and he does all our walls.

Real simple - he works as an engineer for a HUGE, INTERNATIONAL, construction company full time. And has a moonlighting engineering business on the side.

8. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer LawnSite Member

So you are hiring a lowballer?

9. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

That's kinda an ignorant and non-productive comment. Typical of you.

It's called smart business, buy smart and sell smart. Something many can't grasp, hence the reason most hardscapers don't make it longer than 5 yrs.......

10. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer LawnSite Member

The reason most hardscapers go out of business in my market is because there is a very small market for hardscapers only. Most landscape companies these days will take a job from the design/planning stage all the way through to when the sod is laid. Yes there will be a sub or 2 on some larger projects but for the most part people these days want one stop shopping. I don't do commercial work but that market does sometimes separate hard and softscape. Most of those jobs are for a 1/3 of what I would charge. Different strokes as they say.