whats the going rate for edging around the whole house

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by contourbs, Sep 15, 2004.

1. contourbs

contourbs LawnSite Member

i just recieved a new account that needs major help. It has concrete curbing around the whole house, but grass has grown way over it. So what should i charge to do the edging, I will be using a stick edger and located in FL. Its roughly around 100 feet.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

What I always do is the first edging is usually double to triple what it will be for the rest of the year. The first edging is always a pain

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

100ft? don't sound like too much edging to me. $50 first time

4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Figure up how long it is going to take you to do the job. Then charge at least $1/minute. Also, don't forget that if the grass has been there for very long at all, it will have to be scraped away with a shovel and disposed of after you do the actual edging. Thats were the real fun starts. Just be sure not to undercharge or you'll be wishing you'd never seen the place about 15 minutes into the job.

5. contourbs

contourbs LawnSite Member

once the first edging is done it will be maintained there after whenever i mow the yard, its just the yard hadnt been mowed in about a month

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

The job will go a lot faster if you use a big gas edger (3.5 or 4 hp) and than finish with the stick.

7. SCAG POWER

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

I would charge twice the app price, this depends on just how bad is it.

8. Patrick.B

Patrick.B LawnSite Senior Member

i'd go with a gas edger too ...wouldn't take long and you can charge twice as much Then you can charge an normal rate the second time ,,,if you use a stick then you have to charge $1 min ...100 feet should take you about 60 mins or better ,,,,Good Luck !

9. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

Don't forget when you figure your time to do the deging to include the clean up and haul off time.

10. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

60 min for 100' ?? That must have been a typo. My house is on a basic city lot, 60' wide. Making one pass back and forth for the walk in front is 120' and takes 5 min if I take my time.