Whats the going rate for sod?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Big M LawnnSnow, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Big M LawnnSnow

Big M LawnnSnow LawnSite Member

Need a hand with this estimate.
    5500' sod job. ground is already leveled and some top was added.
    this is a rush job, needs to be done asap.
    area is in front of a new above ground pool up to a patio.
    Pretty flat and decent soil conditions.

2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

The "goin' rate" in my part of the country is going to be TOTALLY different than the rate where you live. No point in asking a question like that here on Lawnsite. You'll just get 10 totally different answers. Some will seem way too high to you and others will seem way to low.

You should know the cost of sod in your area. And the cost of soil, other amendments necessary. And you should know your production rates too. How many man hours will it take you to throw down that much sod? You just add the materials and the labor together and that's your answer.

If you don't know these things, you probably shouldn't be out bidding such jobs.

3. Big M LawnnSnow

Big M LawnnSnow LawnSite Member

Jim..
    So I guess I better get an ok from you to ask a question here at lawnsite.
    I know my costs and my rates but have not done sod for a while and was wondering what a basic rate for my area is now.
    And Ten different answers to a question is why I'm here.
    Maybe someday I'll be a pro like you and know everything and not have to ask anything about the business ever again.
    Thanks for the help and the great advice.

4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

To lay sod around 50 cents a sq. ft. with no extra work.

5. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

If pallets of sod are placed near where it will be layed it takes us about one man hour per pallet to put down. If you have to carry the sod any distance, such as from front drive to backyard then add some more time. So to get your cost add an hour per pallet to lay, clean up time, delivery fee, and cost of grass to get your cost to customer.

6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

The name of your business is Green Acres Landscaping and you need help pricing out 11 pallets of sod?

And Jim is exactly right about pricing on the internet.... cost of living is different everywhere... prices will be anywhere from .39-$1 per square foot depening on where you are. And his advise is right on... figure how many man hours it will take and what your materials are going to cost you and then you have your estimate... I think it will take a max of 20 man hours w/ no prep work.

7. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

$135/pallet, 500sqft,Floratam, delivered and laid; no prep + tax.
    That was the price from the sod farm on a 15 pallet job.
    All I have to do is tell 'em where it goes.

8. mphillips4739

mphillips4739 LawnSite Member

In SE TN I pay $105 for a pallet of Fescue (tax included) picked up - small quantity. I really hope there aren't places that sell deliver and install for $135, or was that the cost to install 500sq ft?:confused:

9. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

They're not going to lay 1 pallet for that much, but a 15 pallet job goes for $135+tax/pallet..... installed. All I do is prep the area, paint out the bed lines, make the call, write the check.
    I don't even have to deal with trashing the empty pallets:clapping:

10. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

How many days it will take you

X

The amount you look for each day

+

Material

=

Price........to put it simple.

For whatever reason this is a rush, you may have the upper hand. If I am being rushed to do a job I don't have room for in my schedule that means a Saturday if need be.........either way, they'll be paying a premium, not my regular price.