what's the going wage ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by xxwd5000, Feb 6, 2003.

1. xxwd5000

xxwd5000 LawnSite Member
    from iowa

Ok guys I need alittle advise ! 1st what is a fair hourly wage these days for hired help ? Duties consist of mowing, weed trimming, picking up trash, etc. 2nd do you guys consider your help contract labor or full blown employees with taxes taken out.
    I just started this business and am confused on how to treat hired help .

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Hourly wage here is going to fall between $7 and $15 depending on location.

Help = employees with taxes taken out. You CANNOT 1099 (misc. income) employees...it's against the law.

Contract labor are subcontractors who use their own equipment (trucks, mowers, etc.)

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

well i had a nice informative reply just typed out and just lost it so you won't hear it............................stupid computers.

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

we run from 8-12 for lawn employees around here, more for skilled irigation and landscape foreman. I received an interesting mailer from the IRS on contract labor. #1 they use thier own tools, #2"most people are paid that way", and one other criteria test that I don't remember. we do taxes and all, but most lawn guys I know that have one or two helpers pay them in cash, and I have yet to hear of anyone going to jail. using the IRS own criteria, if you could persualde your help to buy a weedeater,blower...2 out of three ain't bad??

DAveg

6. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

Actually there are 20 questions on the IRS list to determine independent contractors. One that separates things fairly fast is setting their own schedule. You can get away with things for a long time, but the longer you get away with it, the bigger the penalty when theyc catch up with you. Do it right from the beginning.

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

7. matitude

matitude LawnSite Member

8-10 for lawn asst. 12-17 for lawn foreman.

8. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

$9.50 - 12.00 /hr for cutting crew.

9. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

$6- hour.

10. Turtle II

Turtle II LawnSite Member

Actually there are 20 questions on the IRS list to determine independent contractors. One that separates things fairly fast is setting their own schedule.
    Doug
    Austreim Landscaping,,,

I have been figuring out all kinda stuff from the IRS & State tax web sites........Great info for small business there.......

Workman's comp. info
    tax info
    unemployment insurance info.
    etc.

Does anyone know if you have to pay more, (into the unemployment ins. fund) if you have a worker that collects unemployment benefits???

I got Workman's comp and most tax stuff down pretty well,,,but I am not finding to much on the unemployment thing..........

Thanks for all the help from everyone here........
    This is a cool place!!!!!:cool: