What's the "Ideal" Mower for Residential 5K-15K Sized Lots

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bob E G, May 30, 2006.

1. Bob E G

Bob E G LawnSite Member
    from 53717

I've been looking for a STANDER or ZTR to do smaller residential lots--5,000 to 15,000+ sq ft. Need to get into tight spaces, avoid scalping, and minimize trimming. New to the business.

I'm looking at a WRIGHT 36" stander and a SCAG 36" Z-Cat.

Any thoughts, suggestions, preferences????? Thanks

2. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I average 10 minute per lawn on 12 townhomes block on my Gravely 152 Z.
    A few passes on front and few more on back, also sdes...

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Iwould think a 48" or 52" WB with a velke would do nicely.

4. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Go with Wright36. Easy to get in most gates. Good speed, great cut. No problems here with mine. Affordable. Do a search on google for basnight and check out their equipment.

5. PastyWhite

PastyWhite LawnSite Member
    from Jax, FL

I would rock a 36". Should get into most backyards. I got an Ex-Mark W/B with 2 wheel sulky.

6. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

sounds likethe same size properties i do and if they are then 36" will not fit into most backyards if its a normal size entry way openings then 32's are the right size to go those extra 4 inches do help saving time cutting but not that dramatically with small lots and if you have yards with a huge backyard and need the stander in there then u are screwed and have to send your smaller mower in to do the hard work

32 inch stander if u can find it is my bet

7. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

That's a loaded question! You can have a 15K prop that is wide open and take less time than a 6600k yard with a 36". All your yards will be landscaped very differntly and it's up to you to buy the equipment and size each job up to your capabilities and your equipments capabilities. If your in sub-divisions I come across houses that I would have tip a 21" on its side to get through but the yard is 12-15K with Zero Lot line. I turn these down because this is my first yr running without a 21" on trailer. All my lawns are between 6500K-18K. I run a 36" Z-Cat and a SWZ 48" Good Luck!!!

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We like the Wright 36" with rapid deck adjustment and we got the sport that has the seat. The only thing that bothers me about it is no grease serts on none of the pivots but is seems like a well built unit. We used to do all this size yards with Scag/Snapper hydro 36" WB units for many years. I considered that Scag 36" rider since I am a Scag guy but it simply too heavy for the trailers and has a big profile that don't set well with some customers.

9. aceman71

aceman71 LawnSite Member

A Walker with a 36 or 42 inch deck

10. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

HUstler 48" SUPER wb with a sulky. I use mine on everything from 2k to 30k. It will do what the riders do and more.