whats the largest core aerator

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lzrj, May 15, 2006.

1. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

I'm looking to get my 3.6 acres looking good. It used to be farm pasture and I would like to use a core aerator really well before I drop seed down. Does anyone know the largest size of core aerator out there to rent that will let me do that much land?
  2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

do you have a tractor? you must, so you can rent a large probably a 48" is the largest that a garden or lawn tractor can handle without damaging it.
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

they make >72" aerators, but they're geared for golf courses with dozens of acres of turf to be done. I have a 60" tow behind for my Z. No one rents anything larger than a 26" walk behind around here. you'd be out there all day with a 26" machine. Do you have a tractor or commercial Z? If i Take my drawbar off the aerator I can use a 3pt tractor instead of my Z. You might look into finding a used one or just buyin a new one for around ~$1500. For example I would charge you roughly $1100 to do that acreage for you at double pass. you could buy the unit for another $400 and DIY in the future.