What's the loudest allow when buying a leaf blower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ecoscape01, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm comparing leaf blower/vacs and I'm wondering what the db levels are of the blowers that most people use. What do you think is too loud for suburban neighborhoods?

2. F3NEBO

F3NEBO LawnSite Member

ECOSCAPE -

Most standard backpacks are in the 70 - 76 dBa range. If you are working in a metro area with small yard (less than .25 acres) you will probable get complaints if you are over 72 dBa - Especially if you start early or work late.

I talked with a couple of guys last year and they use the new low noise blowers in the spring time and then switch to more powerful units in the fall when the leaves start to fall.

Several cities and homeowner Associations are starting to restrict blowers to 65 dBa or less. The only 2 blowers that I am aware of that meet this and still have decent performance are the Stihl BG500 (But I don't like 4-strokes) and the Husqvarna 356.

3. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks.....one backpack that I'm interested in is 69db and I heard about the 65 rule in some cities. I don't think that will apply in the developements that I will be working in but I wanted to get an idea of what is loud enough to get me complaints. I really don't wanna make anyone angry - especially when I look at them as potential customers

4. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

who cares! Its not louder then a chipper and people dont complain when they are parked on the street doing their thing.

i mean really, is it something to even consider?

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Guess im screwed, my redmax 8000 is at 78DB oh lord better go get a new quieter blower.

Seriously though, your mower is louder than your blower and it runs for a longer duration of time anyway. Neighbors arent gonna complain bout a little bit of noise for 2 minutes. Just dont be mowing before sleepy time is over.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, this is all just a bunch of horse sh.... anyways.

My 8001's are 77dB I think... and to me they are louder at idle than when running.
    Not bad in my opinion compared to the other equipment.

People just want something to bitc# about.