Whats the most comfortable trimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Guardian, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Without sacrificing quality, What is the most comfortable string trimmer you've used? (weight, design etc)

How about hedgers - Again, comfort - I'd like to find a light weight hedger that won't kill your back/arms during extended use.

I currently use all Stihl equip. (fs85, fs85t, hs45, br85, br400 & chainsaw) I am not unhappy, just curious

2. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

I would say the echo brand !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

As far as trimmer goed it depends on your height. I like echo. I have demoed shindiwa but they were a little short for me and I did try adjusting them.

I have used the smaller hedgers with the blade right in front of the moter and they kill my back, I have found the perfict ones for me. I dont know the model # but I think it is like 2100 or1700HC from echo the moter is on back like a trimmer with the throttel hand grip right in front of it, there is about a ten inch shaft aera then a loop handle with the blade right in front of it. I can get right down to the ground with out bending and nine feet high without a ladder.

Jim

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I would guess I've held about every type out there. I like the feel of the stihls the best. The loop feels better, and the balance of the machine is great. If you hold the trimmer by just the loop the motor doesn't hit the ground.

5. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using the Robin BH2500 for about a year. I got it because it is a 4-cycle and has less vibration. (also less pollution and less noise) Honda also makes 4-cycles but they are heavier. I got mine online at Wisconsin Industrial Products (about $350)
    Previously used Echo 2100 and Shindaiwa T-230. Both good but I like the Robin much better.

6. dhicks

dhicks Member

I like the Kawasaki brand. It is light and e-z for me to use. My (R) arm is bad and it is about the lightest trimmer around.

7. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'll go with dhicks on this one. I have used Shindaiwa. Bought a Kawasaki last year and love it. Light and easy to use. Like the head also. There are no loose springs to lose, no eyelets or bump knob to misplace also. I used it all season with ZERO problems. Fuel was the only thing it used.

8. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

As far as hedge trimmers....I dont think there is any gas hedge trimmer that is comfortable to use for extended periods of time. I have redmax 30 inch single sided gas trimmers and a little wander electric 30 inch singled sided hedge trimmer. If you have a generator or dont mine buying one I would highly recomned there electric trimmers. very smooth cut and extremly light weight and comfortable to hold!

9. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

kawasaki kbl23a light and powerful. I will buy another one. I have 2 shindiawa t230s and they are great too but I use the lighter kawasaki to save my back. The only negative I can say about them is they sometimes take 2 or 3 pulls to start vs the shindiawas start on 1 pull. I replaced the original heads on both with one from suffix that I get at lowes for $15. They are 2 line feed and jam proof.

10. cleancutdude

cleancutdude LawnSite Member

I use 43cc kawasaki with bull horn handels I think a good well fitting harness is more important than the strimer .I like plenty of power as I use 3mm line on most jobs . As for clippers i have not seen any better than the stihl HS 85 30" 5.5 kg 1.1hp . It use little spacer blocks instead of a heavy bar to guide the blades . I would recomend fitting a home made ehco type deflector as it removes the clippings from the top of the hedge as u are cutting .

ps. Try using single sided clippers . They are not as tiring as u hold them and all the weight close to your body .