What's the most effective way to drum up as much work as possible w/ season starting?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

What do you think is the most effective way to drum up as much business as possible now that the season is starting up now....Now is the time for me to start up advertising and such, But I was wondering what have you guys found to work best for the beginning of the year trying to get as much work as you can.....I have some business, but nowhere near what I want to get this year. I would REALLY appreciate your help! Thanx!

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Are you looking for landscape work, or maintenance customers?

If it's weekly maintenance customers you're looking for, I would then ask which you have more of, money or time? If you have more money then time, I'd say get a listing in the yellow pages, run a regular ad in the paper, put signs on truck/trailer.

If you have more time then money (my case), then put out a ton of fliers in the specific areas you want to work in.

3. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. Flyers work about the best. A yelow page ad isnt too bad either.

4. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Have you considered calling your current customers to see if there is anything else you can do for their landscape or if they have neighbors, friends or family that might be interested in your services? Referal work is great.

5. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

The single best way , in my guesstimation, is to knock on doors in your target area. Prepare a flyer first and go door to door simply introducing yourself. Hi! my name is____ and I'm offering lawn maintenance services in OUR area. Hand them a flyer and ask them to consider giving your service a try. You will hear alot of no's but you WILL get new customers. Not everyone is up to this but all you are realy doing is putting a face to your flyer and distinguishing yourself from the others. You don't have to have a sales pitch just ask them to take a flyer. For the realy scared, take your wife,kid,girlfriend, or buddy with you for moral support. Oh yeah, dress nice!!

6. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have found that brochures worked pretty good. What I did was get 500-1000 brochures made up by a professional company full color of some of the landscape work you have done...then some pics of the maintenance work you have dont and maybe on the backside put some references of the best largest homes and largest commercial sites that you maintain. Paperclip a business card to that and a nicely made up maintenance flier and hand that out door to door to customers that you think would use your service. I also added in with mine a coupon booklet for my services that worked great many people called for one time jobs such as trimmings or fertilizer apps.

7. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

I'd prefer more maintenance work for now with a little landscape work here and there....And I have more time than money.
    I was thinking about doing something similar to what Jeffex is talking about....what are your opinions on that method as well? Keep 'em coming, Thanx!

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I know everyone will have thier own opinion on this, but I for one will probably never go knocking door to door.
    I HATE when people bother me at home trying to sell me something I don't want. That goes for telemarketing and door knocking.

I have a "No Soliciting" sign on my door for this reason.
    Leave all the doorhangers and fliers you want on my door, just don't knock and bother me.

Although I don't disagree that you will get customers that way, it's just not the way for me.

Good luck with whatever way you decide Ray. By the way, I'm curious how many new accounts are you looking to pick up? How many are you currently doing?

9. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Advertize that you will mow lawn for $2 - you will get busy :p :p

On a more serious note - Word of mouth is a great - and in my opinion the best advertizing, but it takes time - Not something you can just say "I need more accounts now type deal"

The accounts will come - be patient.

Thanks Brad

10. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

for the non-door to door type you can shell out about $1,000 bucks to your local cable company and they will produce a commercial for you. This can be targeted to come on when shows that hit your target market are on. This should give you several wks of commercials. Call them . You'll be surprised at how affordable it is to get done. Target the last week of March as a start point. If you peak too early people won't even be thinking about it. Your start date may be different for your region. I also understand that a Bill board costs about $1,000 a month.