1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What's the most helpfull thing you have learned on LawnSite?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ric3077, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

For me it would be from the thread about what to tell customers that want to switch to bi-weekly cuts when it is dry (like now)...Someone (not sure who..can't find the thread now) said he tells the customer that if he skips, the weeds will grow quicker than the grass and the weeds will go to seed...creating more weeds...which is a great reply to "skip it this week, it doesn't need it"...I have used the scheduling excuse and I even charge 25% more for bi-weekly, even if teh are normally weekly but do bi-weekly during droughts...but now I have something that the customer might care about (getting more weeds) cause they sure don't care about my scheduling concerns. Of course some people don't care about more weeds either...;)
  2. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

ric3077 I agree that has probaly been one of my most useful reasons to give a cus. of why not to skip a week. But I personally can't give one precise instance of most useful...because i find alot of imfo on here very,very,very usefull:waving:
  3. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Lot's of great info on here...just wondering if everyone could put maybe 1 that sticks out to get a thread of great tips all in one easy location. Sales tips, time saving tips, marketing tips, ways to be quicker, money saving tips, whatever...
  4. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

I found saying you need to have a thick skin and be prepared to walk away if nessarsary, if you do not get the price that you need to do the job which is very true, some body was saying if they lose a customer its "next please"

Think Top Sites spoke about having a thick skin.:)

I think for some of us we think we have failed if we do not get the job.:cry:
  5. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

i have to agree with sandgropher about having thick skin in this business. in the past, if i didn't land an account, i felt unsuccesful. but i finally realized that one account is nothing and that there is a lot of business out there.

there have been many great threads on lawnsite, one that stands out in my mind right now was the time saving tips/ideas thread that i think went on for a couple of years and had a couple hundred replies. i learned a few things on that one thread alone that i probably still utilize today.

ever since joining lawnsite, i've felt like a student trying to gather as much info as possible so i can be more knowledgeable in this field. if i spent as much time studying in my free time as i do on here, i'd be a lot better off!

6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I think the biggest thing Ive learned is not to pizz of sheshovel:laugh: now if Sandgropher and Brendan learn that:laugh: Seriously though, there are so many things I have learned but the one thing is this site made me get tough. I have no problem walking away or dumping someone who is trouble even though Im in a bad area. It sure feels good to be rid of most of my bad ones. Ive got one left that Im waiting on her to just blink the wrong way. I used to put up with a lot of crap but I will not hesitate to walk or hang up on a potential pita.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

carry a big shovel
  8. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

yes i miss bobby too

seriously though you cant put it down to one thing .even if i put a few things down here i will then post it ,read it ,then think oh yeah.i think if anything ,this site affirmed things for me.i feel i grow inconfidence everyday

good thread:waving: :usflag:
  9. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i was wondering when that would come up.

i have learned so much here in such a short time. almost like summer sessions in college. i am darn happy that i found l.s.
    not only for the knowledge, but also since i have met so many great people.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Same here, affirmation on most everything... Some things I learned new tricks but a lot of it was confirming what I already knew and a few things I found myself corrected which was nice as well. This gave me confidence which in turn led to me being able to make decisions faster and with less doubt, LS helped me stand up for myself.