what's the name of the flowers in this bed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by tbettis, Jan 9, 2008.

1. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

2. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

how do you go by making it rise from the bottom like a hill...is it the way you layer the soil.. any insight on how to build something like this would be very helpful... by the way the area im planning on doing is about a quarter of whats actually in the pictures

3. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

the area that i want done is the very last picture on the left with the two boulders and fire hydrant...sorry but it want let me post the one picture because it says the picture was in another thread....so what?
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=194175&page=2

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Marigolds in the front, then Coleus (sp?) then Canna behind that. I'm drawing a blank on the yellow mixed between the Coleus and Cannas, it isn't Rudbeckia but something similar. It is possible that the ground is flat there, but the height difference you see is the natural height in the plants. (If that makes sense, lol) Nice mix of plants.

5. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

the coleus can grow very wild cant they?

6. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, they can grow pretty quickly, but not out of control, I would say. We have a more limited time for annuals, so they don't get as much grow time. Most of my annuals are planted in mid May, and our first frost is usually October. The cannas we dig up and store for the winter.

7. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, Rudebeckia between coleus and canna. I can't recall the exact variety though.

8. MassSteelerfan

MassSteelerfan LawnSite Member
    from Mass

These are all correct, and the veriety of rudebeckia is Goldstrum.

9. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

u mean to tell me that the goldstrum are as tall as the cannas?

10. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

the area that this design is going in is mulched right now....do i need to remove all the mulch and get a truck load of organic soil and spread accordingly. how would i go by building this bed someone... and what would be the best time to start on it..i live in alabama.