What's the next step

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Keegan, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I have been solo for the past 8 yrs or so. I have about 60 accounts and I am the point where I want to grow and not do everything myself. My goal is to have a crew do the mowing etc. and I would only do the fertilizing etc.

Any advice on how to take it to the next level?

Thanks!!

2. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

60 accounts does not mean anything when the lawns are so smal and you can knock them out in 2 days.

So you need to quailfy how busy you are by how many hours of work do your cusotmers provide every week before you want to add any employees.

Example: you have 60 customers.

If they are bi weekly.

So you only mow 30 lawns a week.

Drive time and mow time combined 1 hr per lawn, 30 hrs of work per week.

You have a part time job and want to add help does not make sense.

Need more info.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  3. Keegan

from CT

I already know that. It takes me longer than 2 days because a lot of them are not small. The largest is 3 acres. Not all are mowing.

4. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

You need to set up payroll, EIN, UI, etc. and make sure you have the trucks/equipment to handle the extra people. Then the fun part, finding qualified employees. That one's my favorite Thumbs Up

5. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

You keep on being this evasive you are gong to have to be sent to Gitmo and get some water boarding.

So you only have 2 full days of work and 1 partial day. Sorry to see you are that over worked that you need help.

Remember answers are based on the info that you give.

6. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

He didn't ask how much work he should have before hiring someone, he asked what steps he should take to put someone on payroll/expand his business. Maybe if you were as perceptive as you are witty you would have understood the question ;)

7. Keegan

from CT

jrs is right. btw I never said 2.5 days of work. As a matter of fact I work 5 or 6 days every week and like I said before, it's not all mowing.