Whats the percentage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chuck bow, Dec 8, 2007.

1. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Just sitting here being bored and becoming a lawnsite addict again and a thought occured to me. What percentage of new start up LC companys stay in business after the first year . I see new adds coming out in paper every spring and bunches of new yellow page adds. I have been in this business fulltime for 14 years and see them come and go every year but seems like there are more and more every year , They think its easy money i guess but in all reality they havent a clue what it costs to really be in biz > We have lost all the good manufacturing jobs in this area and guys are taking the buy outs and buying a trailer 1 big mower 1 21 mower 1 blower 1 trimmer and now they are full fledged LCO's

2. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello ,
    Even though many can operate a mower ,few are able to operate/ manage a business .The overheads are higher in this biz than many similar biz so correct charge out rates become very very important .Very few new small biz survive after 5years .
    Unfortunately many operaters are only interested in the short term gain as the mowing biz is only a ""between job "" 4 these individuals . Therefore they low ball to gain work and keep the price of mowing artificially low .:gunsfirin

The above business strategy only leads to self destruction of the business :clapping:

The only issue that the succesful biz have to cope with is no sooner does this happen another ""waana be "" steps up and the cycle continues ggrrrrrr.

tomo:waving:

3. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

yep i see lots of new business ads in the spring and a lot of mowing equipment for sale in the classifieds in the fall

4. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

here its every guy with a mower in the spring then most pack up in fall and run for Mexico. we tend to pick up in the winter because of this........