1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Whats the percentage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chuck bow, Dec 8, 2007.

1. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Just sitting here being bored and becoming a lawnsite addict again and a thought occured to me. What percentage of new start up LC companys stay in business after the first year . I see new adds coming out in paper every spring and bunches of new yellow page adds. I have been in this business fulltime for 14 years and see them come and go every year but seems like there are more and more every year , They think its easy money i guess but in all reality they havent a clue what it costs to really be in biz > We have lost all the good manufacturing jobs in this area and guys are taking the buy outs and buying a trailer 1 big mower 1 21 mower 1 blower 1 trimmer and now they are full fledged LCO's
  2. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello ,
    Even though many can operate a mower ,few are able to operate/ manage a business .The overheads are higher in this biz than many similar biz so correct charge out rates become very very important .Very few new small biz survive after 5years .
    Unfortunately many operaters are only interested in the short term gain as the mowing biz is only a ""between job "" 4 these individuals . Therefore they low ball to gain work and keep the price of mowing artificially low .:gunsfirin

The above business strategy only leads to self destruction of the business :clapping:

The only issue that the succesful biz have to cope with is no sooner does this happen another ""waana be "" steps up and the cycle continues ggrrrrrr.

3. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

yep i see lots of new business ads in the spring and a lot of mowing equipment for sale in the classifieds in the fall
  4. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

here its every guy with a mower in the spring then most pack up in fall and run for Mexico. we tend to pick up in the winter because of this........