What's the perfect "size" LCO while still having a "life"?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CharlieBingo, Dec 26, 2005.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

For me it's 125 1\4 to 1 acre properties full maintenance ( cuts, hedges, cleanups, weeding and edging, as well as about 80 of them on chemical programs. Some light mulching and reseeding and no heavy landscaping. About 2-4 well managed guys and I think we could have an outside life (trade shows don't count) and enjoy our families, lives and have a very satisfying controlled biz. I honestly believe a lot of us lose our outside lives and then create a monster biz that consumes us and when leisure time occurs we don't know what to do and feel lazy or guilty.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'm still trying to figure this all out after 12 years:confused:

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

To a lot of people there business is there life, so theres no 1 answer to your question. To me its one 1/4 yd that some fools willing to pay 750k to have mowed each yr. Still waiting to find him

4. rodfather

LOL, hopefully he has a twin that lives in my hometown:)

5. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

Isn't that the truth.

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

To me my business is my life, It is very hard to do what you are describing. When I take off or do something that I don't normally I always feel guilty or lazy. It's hard for an owner operator to not work 5-6 days a week, then spend Sunday tinkering with trucks and mowers.

I have developed a thing where I don't like working saturdays. The only way I'll do it is if we are behind, or I have a big mulch or trimming job. Other than that Saturday is my day, and Sunday is for whatever, I usually end up serviceing trucks and equipment. But this is what I enjoy doing

7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

This answer is going to be different for most. The good thing is that we are even contemplating such a thing. Most just choose the path of least resistance and then look up and wonder how did I get here? I have friends that have big Lco companies (multi millions per year) They just schedule their fun and it tend to be a bit more focused in their entertainment. One likes to ski a lot so he opened a branch office in Park City, Utah so he can write off his trips. Thats not the only reason, there is lots of his type of work in the area but so is there in Palm Springs. The other guy likes to hunt so he goes all over the world hunting. I don't understand hunting Zebras but apparently they are mean. Both of them work hard and play hard, and their kids are grown. For me the answer is whatever I can control working 45-55 hours per week. This year it was avg 6.5 employees, 2 crews and 400-K gross. My kids are small so I will be staying close to home except for the yearly lampoon vacation. Me my wife 4 kids and my mother-in-law, 2-weeks in a 30 ft coach, now thats entertainment!

8. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

This is my problem. I was currently looking to expand the business. Have a couple of employees. I have been contemplating through all of the leaf cleanups on actually doing less business on a weekly basis and focusing on my one time clients. I have been tinkering with my onetime clients and finding out that they are better by 3 fold than my yearly (commercial accounts excluded).
    I am looking at going near all commercial and do many one time shrub, leaf and cleanups.
    Expanding the aeration for sure.

9. rodfather

God bless ya...LOL:)

10. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

i realy dont know but i want to have kids a wife and stuff like that but still have a big biz with employees