1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

whats the perfect trailer???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ricerocket, Jul 10, 2003.

1. ricerocket

ricerocket LawnSite Member

i am going to build my own trailer and was just looking for some helpful ideas, mabey even some pics of some things that work good. eg. racks, boxes, gas tanks/cans, ramps, width. let me know what you got and what has worked good for you.
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

what's the best trailer? That's like asking whats the best hunting rifle!!Look around at what others are using and make the combo that siutsYOUR needs because everybody's needs are a little different.
  3. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

how familier are you with building a trailer? have you before? do you have the plans? also try a search
  4. ricerocket

i understand that everyones needs are different i just don't want to build one and realize i should have done something different. i'm going to go with a 14 foot, what i dont know is if i should go 6'6" or 7' wide.
  5. ricerocket

this will be my first but my buddy who is a professional welder is going to help me. who needs plans with all the ideas in the head.
  6. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

"should", being the key word there. Only you can answer that, what equipment do you have, what equipment do you ever plan on having.
    Don't know if there is such a thing as a 'perfect' trailer, (like perfect woman, HA) maybe as good as you can make it right now, jot down things you wish were different, when the list is long enough, build another and sell the original.
    Can't remember who or what thread, but there are some very well built (home grown) trailers shown on this site. Do some searches, not just trailers, but also trimmer racks, etc.
  7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I just purchased a new 16ft tandom axle trailer today. I really didnt need that much trailer right now but in the future i probably will so i made 1 purchase instead of several when you realize you need more space.
  8. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would build it bigger than 14'. I have a 16' and sometimes wish i had a 20'. I would build it at least 16'.
  9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I would go 7' wide and why not go 16' long? I have found that you always wish you had more trailer room. Maybe consider building some lockable tool boxes too. I have seen some trailers with a gate lift assist that uses a leaf spring under the trailer to lift the gate. Maybe a side gate, just depends on your needs some like them, others don't. I like this trailer, if you look close you can see the leaf spring gate lift on the side gate.http://www.teshandsons.com/

10. ricerocket

thanks DLCS there are almost too many ideas on that trailer my brain hurts just thinking of how to build them all. thats perfect keep them coming.