1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Whats the point of front mounts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Jun 27, 2008.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Ive always wondered why someone would buy one of those 3 wheeled things? they look so awkward compared to regular ZTR's. does anyone here use these?
  2. Baseballer1100

Baseballer1100 LawnSite Member

I see them mostly on golf courses only thing I can think is that it might be easier on the turf. But im not sure.
  3. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I always thought they would be awesome for larger properties and commercial lots. especially since you can cut under trees and bushes so well. I have never ran one but I bet the ones that are non bagger hold hills really well too. But I could be wrong since I have no experience with them.
  4. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't really see the point of the 3 wheel, mid-engine, rear-operator mowers, like the Ferris ProCut. They are slower than a zero turn, less maneuverable than a zero turn, and probably don't ride as good as a zero turn. I certainly do see advantages to a front mount zero turn, like a Grasshopper. They are just as fast, almost as maneuverable (slightly longer), and offer great productivity since you can see the whole deck and trim under low branches. They also have numerous attachments to replace the deck and make the power unit an all-season profit machine. You can aerate, spray, sweep and blow snow, blow leaves, and do all kinds of other stuff with a front mount Grasshopper.

5. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I was talking specifically about the Grasshopper kind myself. I misunderstood the first post. I have no idea why someone would use those myself.
  6. moe sizlack

moe sizlack LawnSite Member

any mower with a front mount deck reduces trimming time. you can manuver the deck around fixed objects like trees.
  7. Lil'MowinMan93

Lil'MowinMan93 LawnSite Member

I've ran a walker before. The biggest advantage for the front's over the mid's are thatyou don't have to do a full circler around the tree's. go on one side wrap the deck around then go on the other side wrap the deck around the tree and away you go.
  8. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Front mounts ride much better than mid mount machines.
    The potential to scalp is less, deck visibility is greater, trimming time reduced and are usually easier to work on as more of the intregal parts are easier to get at.
    I have run both mid mounts and front mounts in over nineteen years on golf courses and my own business and if it wasn't for the storage problems(even with some of the "folding" decks front mounts are much longer than a mid mount), I'd have all front mounts.
    I like front mounts so well I should have stayed with 'em and not transition into the mid mount riding/standing machines.
  9. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Used to run an old Scag 3 wheeled beast. At the time (1990s) it was great for mowing around objects. Its handy for getting under trees and things like that. As far as speed reductions, or lost productivity I have a hard time buying that.
  10. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

We ran a bunch of those Scags too. They leave a better cut, more like a walkbehind, due to less weight on the front tires laying grass down. They get under trees real well, and overall a simple design. Your foot controls forward or reverse, and speed by a single pedal. If it wasn't for trailer space and the good looks of Z's they'd still be popular. With Walker and Grasshoppers, you get kind of a hybrid of the 2 designs, with all the attachment options also. As a pure mower, going for cut quality, front mounts are probably superior to Z's, but you make concessions elsewhere.