what's the prime aerator for 1/3 acre lots.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by grass disaster, Jun 11, 2007.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

what's the best aerator for, on average 1/3 acre lots. about 20% irrigated properties. some lots are smaller, some a little bigger.

i have a $200 pull behind aerator for the 318 john deere which works O.k. but it is difficult on the smaller properties to turn/back up

if walk behind is the one you suggest i want one that is easy to handle and turn. i want it to go nice and deep and draw good plugs on hard turf.

2. ACEMowing

ACEMowing LawnSite Member

Without a doubt, the Plugr PL-400H would be the way to go. The crank-drive pounds out great cores and they are super easy to run and turn around.
    The 400 is I think 22" wide per pass. We have a PL-400H and a PL-600B (30" wide).

3. grass disaster

the pl850 looks like a nice machine but i'm not sure i would need the hydrostatic drive.

4. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at the Pluggers, Turfco's, Bluebirds. Almost screwed up and bought a large Bluebird. Price was really good. The Plugger I liked and wanted the hydrostatic drive. But figured I didn't need the width. I just wanted to used it for small yards or cutting in larger yards. The small Turfco was perfect. And I have a pull behind for larger area's. One guy runs the Turfco and one runs the tractor. I like the steering drive on the turfco runs really nice. The plugger was a little big for me for cut in if I got the driven unit.

Turfco turn aer 4 is what we got I think. Has right and left brake for steering.

Oh, we have a lot of walk out basements with hills. I wouldn't buy one without a drive unit.

5. grass disaster

that's only 17" though. that would take too long to do a yard.

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

7. grass disaster

is this your machine?

how much did this cost? this looks like a nice machine

8. grass disaster

i don't think i would be interested in something like this. i'm interested in either the classen or the plugr. the plugr looks like it costs a little more.

9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I love my pl 400. I will however upgrade will be the pluger hydro.

10. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

If you haven't used one. You don't know. And, nope. It doesn't take long at all. It's fast. Get a buggy and it drags you along. I actually wish it went slower for cut in.