What's the problem?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pcs, May 6, 2001.

1. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

I have a problem with one of my mowers. My walker 16 hp sounds like it's running out of gas. When you are driving it seems like it get's a serg of power and then lack of power, serg of power, lack of power. etc, etc. What would be causing this?

2. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

pcs - based on my limited experience with internal combustion engines and mowers (never worked on mower of that size) - I would guess either a loose or disconnected plugwire or a clogged fuel line. Possibly a fuel filter.

Mick

3. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like something in the fuel line, or even better would be a bunch of crud in the carborator. Clean out the carb and see if it helps.

4. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

These guys seem to be on the right track, a fuel system problem sounds like the culprit.

5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

try blowing out all your fuel lines and buy a $20 carb rebuild kit. Not a big deal.

Good Luck!

6. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

Thanks alot guys. I'll try your suggestions.

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If your mower sat all winter with gas in it and no stabilizer, it is probably the carb. You probably could adjust the high end air/gas adjustment and smoothen it out. Once it gets all cleaned out, you might have to readjust it again back to where it is now.

8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I had same problem with my 20 HP. It actded like it wasn't getting gas. It ended up being the key switch was shorting out.

Gene

9. Vintage

Vintage LawnSite Member

Also check your fuel, is it old, does it have water in it?

Do what the other guys suggested first then make sure you fire it up with fresh fuel.

10. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

have you had any luck with the suggestions posted?

What model is it? How many hours? Smoking?