whats the safe way of cutting alders?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigt8ck, Aug 9, 2006.

1. bigt8ck

bigt8ck LawnSite Member

i have been using a chainsaw for about 2 years now, and i have been landscaping my whole life, but just resently i got a offer to cut about 50 alders off a cliff, there all 10 to 14 in diameter trunks, i dont know what i should charge on this kind of job, i dont need to cut up or haul away alders just leave them at the bottom of the cliff, but cutting them on the cliff will not be easy, if anything happens i have very minimal space to react, also i have cut trees before, but ive been telling people about this job i got, and everyone ive talked to tells me to be carefull of the alders, they say there widow makers because the split so easy will your cutting them, what is the proper safe way to cut a alder, some alders are growing with a bow in them form growing off the side of the cliff. also what should i charge for cutting 50 alders?

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

In my opinion there is NO safe was to cut any trees on a cliff unless you have the proper equipment to do so and are fully trained to work in that manner.
    THis is not a job you want to do alone. If I were you I would refer the customer to a tree cutting company
    with a certified arborist on the payroll.
    Seriously it's not worth the money to take a risk like that cutting on a cliff.

3. bigt8ck

bigt8ck LawnSite Member

i know what you mean its a very dangerous job cutting on the cliff, and in the long run i probably wont end up doing it but, theres alot of other alders that are on level ground that i could make good money on, but like i said everyone i talked to said to be careful as soon as they found out i was cutting down alders, i looked all over the internet to find hints but i cant really find anything that talks specfically about alders, but hopefully somebody with exprience can tell me a safe way of doing it, and what i should charge, thank you again

4. sheshovel

There is a site out there that is Arborists mainly. All the members only cut tree's for a living. I can't remember the name right now but it has arbor in it.
    Try there for your pricing.

5. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

if you havent cut timber befire i would say pass on this job, especially if they are leaning hard. alders will barber chair so fast it will make your head spin. the best way to cut them is (depending on how bad they lean) cut a very deep face(tricky not to pinch out the saw) and then come on the back wide open throttle, cut as much wood ass you can without cutting through the tree.A SHARP CHAIN IS A MUST!! if they lean real heavy, you can put a very wide open face in them, turn your saw on the side and bore into the tree leaving holding wood behind the saw. cut up just so you have a small hinge, maybe two inches, pull the saw out and come in on the back like normal, the tree shouldnt split. im sure ive confused you more than anything, i can do it, just not explain it to well. feel free to ask more questions, or ask the question on arboristsite.com

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

http://www.arboristsite.com/ I believe this is what you were referring to.

7. sheshovel

Thank you PM you are on top of things as usual!

8. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

I spend as much time there as I do here - I do tree work in addition to "standard" landscaping. They will all tell you the same thing - that you are a fool unless you hire a professional for this job. You need someone working in a saddle and roped in so that, no matter what happens, he or she will be safe and the trees will end up at the bottom of that cliff.